Best answer

Needing Multiple Triggers Data in ONE Zap [New QuestionScout Form Submission, New Stripe Charge]

• 18 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @Troy Tessalone,

I am trying to do something quite simple, yet it has proven immensely difficult: Send a Stripe Receipt after a Payment & Form Submission from QuestionScout.

1st ZAP

1. I have a Zap setup with the Trigger: New Submission in QuestionScout
  2. I have an Action: Send Email in Gmail

• Between those two things, I would need to identify the Stripe transaction, & have the Email & Receipt URL parameters made available as a variable. The email would be used as a filter.

2nd ZAP

1. I created a second Zap, with the Trigger: New Charge in Stripe
  2. I have the Action: Post (Webhook) to send the data parameters for email & receipt_url

• That’s two Zaps, two Triggers. The problem is, Catching a Hook, is a Trigger, & I cannot add that to the 1st Zap to pull the data from the second Zap that’s posting it. 
  • That’s also an issue because QuestionScout has no Actions that can follow up with submitted form data. It ONLY has the Trigger.
  • I tried to use the Get (Webhook) Action, however, the only thing it said was that the request was successfully sent, & the data it retrieved was just the idrequest_idattempt, & status of the actual Webhook request, not the data that was posted from the other Webhook in the 2nd Zap.
  • To make matters worse, there are no clear identifiers coming from the data submitted from QuestionScout, that allows me to identify the Stripe transactions with a simple filter (for instance, can’t just filter for “QuestionScout”, the Stripe Charge ID [or any Stripe details for that matter], or “Juneteenth Sponsor App” [Name of the form].)

I’ve been corresponding with everyone from QuestionScout, Stripe & other developers & have still not yet found a proper solution for this. It’s been over a week of me corresponding & trying. The only thing Stripe said was to use their receipt_email Webook, but even with that I don’t know how to identify it or input that webhook into Zapier to make it send!

I don’t quite see how Webhooks can resolve the issue, because In order to catch the Webhook, it takes the place of the Trigger. Is there a way to use an Action webhook, to retrieve information coming from another Action webhook in another Zap?

If you can, please, help me. 

icon

Best answer by MrWildenfree 19 May 2021, 15:16

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @MrWildenfree 

have you tried using something like Storage by Zapier or a google sheet for intermediary storage? Trigger 1 would push to a google sheet, then trigger 2 can look up a row from the sheet? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MrWildenfree 

Here’s the article about Stripe Email Receipts: https://stripe.com/docs/receipts

Thoughts...

You may need to use a GSheet or Airtable to log the QuestionScout submissions to then be looked up by the other Zap. (e.g. GSheets Lookup Row / Airtable Find Record)

Stripe has these available searches via Zap:

Userlevel 1

Hi @MrWildenfree 

Here’s the article about Stripe Email Receipts: https://stripe.com/docs/receipts

Thoughts...

You may need to use a GSheet or Airtable to log the QuestionScout submissions to then be looked up by the other Zap. (e.g. GSheets Lookup Row / Airtable Find Record)

Stripe has these available searches via Zap:

Your answer & the one above suggest something similar, so I guess this is a method worth attempting.

In this case then, it would need to be 3 separate Zaps? 

1. Zap 1 for retrieving the Data from QuestionScout & adding it to a Google Sheet Row.
  2. Zap 2 for Finding the Stripe Charge & adding the Receipt URL to the Google Sheet Row.
  3. Zap 3 for getting that data from the Google Sheet Row, & then compiling it into an email to be sent out.

Let me know if I’ve interpreted that correctly.

With that being said though, I’m still missing a way to identify whether the upcoming Stripe charge is related to the QuestionScout Form Submission? Which would still seem to require the data from another Trigger to verify it against the incoming Form Submission. Since QuestionScout doesn’t provide any data from Zapier, the only thing I can do is Find/Lookup a Google Sheets row & update it with the Stripe data, however, it is very much possible that a Stripe Charge could come in from somebody with the same email, but it NOT be related to that QuestionScout Form Submission. (The user could have recently submitted a general donation, or have a recurring/automatic donation)..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MrWildenfree 

The key as you’ve indicated is determine what data points can be used from these apps to identify the associations across the data sets.

Without a common ID (e.g. email address) between the apps, you won’t be able to establish the associations.

Might be worth outlining a specific example to trace and troubleshoot based on the data points.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone @GetUWired -- Thank you both. I was able to figure out the solution based on the advice you all provided. I did end up using Google Sheets to send the form data into, & then recalled it in another Zap after the New Stripe Charge Trigger, by using the Lookup Spreadsheet Row option from Google Sheets.

What allowed this to work is that the New Charge Trigger includes the Receipt URL parameter, so I just used that to embed in the email I send out to users who’ve completed the form.& checkout.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MrWildenfree 

Way to go!