Question

How to use Zapier Formatter to generate GUID?

• 18 January 2022
  • 5 replies

I need to create a unique customerID for each customer that is unique and looks like this:

4025ad92-3515-4153-b621-54e7e18e3dfa

Can anyone provide an example using the Zapier Formatter step. Thaks in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @mmartelli2022 

What are the requirements for the ID?
For example…

1. Number of characters
  2. Alphanumeric
  3. Patterns

If you use an app such as Airtable it can generate the row record ID that can be used as a unique ID, altho it’s shorter the example you provided.

Hi thanks for quick response!

The GUIDs required are constructed in a sequence of digits that equal 128 bits. The ID is in hexadecimal digits, meaning it uses the numbers 0 through 9 and letters A through F. The hexadecimal digits are grouped in a format that is 36 characters long -- 32 hexadecimal characters grouped as 8-4-4-4-12 and separated by four hyphens: {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

This cannot be done with simply a Zapier formatter step. it would require code or better yet a custom zapier action that makes use of the node module uuid. 

I’m wondering if I can do a Number step with 8 numbers and another number step with 4 and so on and then connect them with hypen as Number1-Number2-Number3 using the RANDBETWEEN(1000, 9999) formula?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mmartelli2022 

Code step would be the best for this: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Although unlikely, best practice would be to log and then to check against the generated list of UUIDs to make sure you are generating truly unique IDs, for example in a GSheet or an Airtable Base.