Question

How to use http HEAD request in Zapier? (webhooks or other)

• 13 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

How does one simple mortal fire HTTP “HEAD” requests (as opposed to GET, POST, PUT etc.) and use the header response for next steps in Zapier?

I’m on a Premium plan, so there’s Webhooks; but those will only give me either pre-defined GET/POST/PUT, or, in custom command, GET/POST/PUT/PATCH/DELETE - neither of which is HEAD.

For the life of me, I couldn’t find the answer here in the community, so I’m most probably missing something vital about Zapier or something?

Either way, i’d like to HEAD a url and work with the response, thus putting less GET load on the receiving server. Any ideas how to do this?

Any help appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Shazap!

That’s correct, the Webhooks by Zapier app only supports GET, POST, PUT, PATCH or DELETE methods.

I’ve not tested this myself but I wonder if you might be able to achieve this by building a custom integration to handle the HEAD request. It’s free to do so and you can find out more about building an integration here: How to Build

Hope that helps! :)

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB!

Thanks for your help. However, this would get me even further away from a (almost-)No-Code approach I was actually looking for. Building a full integration looks.. hard.

Anyway, I’ve devised some shoddy Code-by-Zapier solution. Turns out not only is it impossible to get simple HEAD requests natively, but Zapier will also not give me any kind of HTTP header response information (GET or otherwise) that I’m looking for in the first place. Zapier will also force-parse every response payload. I’m sure there’s some valid reason for all of this, but, ..ugh. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying No-Code approaches, no?

Anyway: thanks for your time! :-)