Question

How to retrieve multi-stage WEBHOOK data? (GraphQL double underscores)

• 24 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,
I take the liberty of opening a ticket due to an issue I'm having with processing webhook data.

I'm used to ZAPIER, and I'm used to looking for the solution for a long time on my own, before giving up. But I've been searching for hours, and I still haven't been able to find a solution so far.

I present the situation to you.

I use the Zapier Webhook app, in "custom request" to make a "query" request to an API.

Everything is going well at that time. The problem concerns the treatment of incoming data.

The incoming data includes a 2-step dataset:
The "steps" each have several "substeps"

ZAPIER presents it this way (The steps in purple, the substems in orange)

In this example, we have 3 "steps" which each have 3 "substeps" but this number can vary.
For example step 1 can have 5 substeps and step 4 can have 1 substep.

The main problem I encounter is that when I want to reuse the "substeps" data in another app, ZAPIER shows me all the substeps (of the 3 steps) on a single line, without step distinction.

I of course tried reformatting the text with "Format" ("split text" first, then "text to line-item", then "line-item to text" or again "line itemizer". But that does not solve the main problem: since the data substeps are dissociated from their respective step.

Sorry for these unclear explanations. I tried to be as clear as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help,

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Babico 

Good question.

You’ll most likely have to use an advanced approach to work with nested array data.

This will probably require the use of a Code step: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Code steps can be used to make API Requests as well and handle the raw unparsed data that you see when using the Webhooks app.