Question

Filtering on webook api response payload that may or may not have the payload?

• 6 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Title should be:

What to* do for filtering on web hook API response payload that may or may not have the payload?

Hi Ya’ll,

Currently working with a client where we have to use an API for searching a database for files. 

When the API call Is triggered if the file does not exist, we get an error. If it does exist, we get a response. 

I know that Zapier doesn’t offer handling of errors and simply will stop the zap. What are some ways we can handle this since the API won't let us get a response that says file doesn't exist. 

Looking for suggestions. 

Thanks! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

My first thought would be to rebuild the webhook step in a custom action on their developer portal where you have more control. From there you can have Zapier throw halt errors or configure a custom message when the file doesn’t exist. 

he UI builder is not much more difficult than configuring the webhook action! https://platform.zapier.com/docs/zapier-intro 

Halt errors: https://platform.zapier.com/cli_docs/docs#halting-execution 

Alternatively, if the webhook isn’t what is throwing an error and stopping the zap but rather an action that was dependent on the result returned. You can always place a filter directly after the webhook to only continue the zap if the dependent field is returned/exists. 

Let me know if you need more help!

Thanks!

@GetUWired in this case you are suggested I create my own Zapier app and use their interface to make the web hook? If so, wouldn't this make the app public to everyone on Zapier? 

In regards to your last part, correct. The error is not stopping the zap. However, I cannot use the Webhook Zap to create lets say a path based on the error response from the file systems API.  :tired_face: If only I could say, if error is returned, go through path B if not, go through path A. Or something along those lines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@quickjeff - A custom integration is by default private. Even if multiple users are using it, their authentication data will be isolated from each other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@quickjeff 

What does it look like when the error is returned? Have you tried to set up your paths for when an error is returned? 

You could also set up you path for a specific field that is always returned on a successful response. I.e. if ID is “exists” go down path A. If ID “does not exist”, go down path B. The end result would be as if you’d set it up to look for an error but with the inverse logic.