Skip to main content
Question

Custom Request Webhook doesn't work

• 22 May 2024
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to send JSON data to a program that we use. However, it simply doesn’t work. There is also no error and it seems to send fine, but the data doesn’t get updated in our program. The exact same data works fine when sending it through Postman. JSON is validated as well. I’ve tried enabling all options for data pass-through and unflatten. It doesn’t work with any combination of options. Is there something wrong with Zapier’s webhooks that would cause this not to work, but work fine in other programs like Postman?

Here is a screenshot. URL is left blank just for the screenshot.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cantchooseaname8 

Can you link to the API docs you reference to configure the API request?

Check the Headers. (Those should be a key/value pair.)

Without seeing the actual real configured API request is can be hard for us to evaluate and advise.

Hi @cantchooseaname8 

Can you link to the API docs you reference to configure the API request?

Check the Headers. (Those should be a key/value pair.)

Without seeing the actual real configured API request is can be hard for us to evaluate and advise.

Thanks for your response! It looks like I needed to add Content-Type: application/json to the header and it seems to be working now. It would be helpful if Zapier could add that to the documentation somewhere. I read a lot of other posts from people having similar problems, but this wasn’t really mentioned anywhere as a possible debugging step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cantchooseaname8

Headers are dependent on the app API endpoint documentation.

For custom API requests via the Webhooks app the configuration is on the end user to configure correctly as that is an advanced app.

In the Data field description, it indicates to check the Content-Type configured in the Headers.

Tip if you have ChatGPT+, you can take a screenshot with how your API request is configured, along with the encountered error, and provide the link to the API endpoint documentation and ask the AI what may be wrong and how to fix it.

Feedback can and should be submitted via a ticket to Zapier Support for it to be properly logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help