Question

Api poling for changes on existing items, not on new ones.

• 22 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I want to poll an API built with swagger to see when the status inside an item changes. Is this not doable with having webhook as a trigger? Does it only alert for new items and not status changes inside an already existing item? If I go the other route and trigger the zap every 10 minutes and send a webhook get request to see if the data has changed, it will eat too many tasks.

What would be the best way forward?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Santeri 

Have you looked into using Callbacks (aka webhooks) in Swagger?

https://swagger.io/docs/specification/callbacks/

Otherwise, the Zap trigger Webhook Retrieve Poll will look for new entries.

The returned data would depend on the API request being made. (e.g. endpoint, query string params)

For example, if there is a query string parameter available to use for limiting the data updated within a specific time frame.

We’d need more info/screenshots about the configured API request in the Zap trigger step.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Santeri 

Have you looked into using Callbacks (aka webhooks) in Swagger?

https://swagger.io/docs/specification/callbacks/

Otherwise, the Zap trigger Webhook Retrieve Poll will look for new entries.

The returned data would depend on the API request being made. (e.g. endpoint, query string params)

For example, if there is a query string parameter available to use for limiting the data updated within a specific time frame.

We’d need more info/screenshots about the configured API request in the Zap trigger step.

I did take a look on callbacks, but still I would like to think that Zapier would be able to poll an API and trigger on changes to entries, and not only on new entries.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Santeri

I did take a look on callbacks, but still I would like to think that Zapier would be able to poll an API and trigger on changes to entries, and not only on new entries.