Best answer

Adding a HighLevel (LeadConnecter) user to a location via Webhook Post Action step

I would appreciate guidance on how to create a zap webhook post action step to add an existing user in my HighLevel (LeadConnector) agency to a location that was just created in a previous zap webhook post action step.

As a point of reference, done manually, this entails going into the Agency level of HighLevel, finding the user, edit, Add to Account, choose account, and save.

I’m not a developer, but some guidance I received was:

“You should be able to do something with the POST webhook module.

Then just add the endpoint URL, your header authorization and copy the example JSON from the docs and merge your data in it.

https://developers.gohighlevel.com/#0db0bb69-3866-40e4-bbb9-81e4e2f4d8fc

Can anyone help me translate this into a zap action step?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 10 May 2022, 13:54

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Kalon 

Good question.

Help articles for using the Webhooks app in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

if you’re looking for professional help, consider hiring a Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts

Thank you Troy.

Anyone else have thoughts that might help me design this zap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Kalon! Thanks for your reply. I don’t think I can get you all the way over the finish line with this one, but I can hopefully give you some steps in the right direction. 

From the documentation you added a link to, I think that you’ll need to use the Custom Request WEbhooks action. The reason I say that is that there are a number of fields that are nested under ‘Permissions’, which I don’t think the simple ‘PUT’ action will be able to handle.

When you set up the Custom Request action, the URL needs to be the URL given in the API documentation https://rest.gohighlevel.com/v1/users/

In the ‘Data’ section, copy and paste all of the information under --data-raw’ from the example request: https://developers.gohighlevel.com/#0c772663-3848-4368-a30e-ce350982d81d

For the values like First name, last name, email, etc., put the information from the previous step in the Zap in the place of the example data:

Make sure that you add the info that you need the password field and set the permissions to true or false as is appropriate for the type of user that you’re creating. 

The part of webhooks that I find tricky is the authorization, so this is the bit that might not be right!

In the example request, the auth is sent in the header of the hook, so I think that you would add it in the ‘Header’ section of the Webhook step in Zapier like this:

I’m not 100% sure on that - it’s kind of my best guess 😅

If you give that a go and get stuck, let us know where it gets stuck and share any error messages with us and we’ll do our best to try and unstick you!

Danvers, thank you for the thoughtful response!

That said, I’m not sure if it is addressing the challenge I’m looking to solve, which is adding a user which already exists at my agency level, someone who has access to other HighLevel locations, to the new location that was just created in a previous zapier step.

The example you gave included things like setting permissions and password for the user, which is not necessary, since the user already exists. We just need to add that user to the new location, with the permissions and password that are already in place.

From within HighLevel, there are two different processes to adding a user to a location:

1. Go into that location and add an employee/user.
  2. Go to the agency level, find the user, and add that user to an account (location).

What I believe your suggestions automate are #1. What I seek to automate is #2.  The difference being that I don’t want to mess up the user’s existing permissions or password.

Thank you again.

Kalon

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Kalon 

You can try using the mentioned PUT request with only the desired variables to update the locations.

Make sure to include the existing locations and new locations.

Example: Array of location IDs.

Thank you Troy.

When you say, “Make sure to include the existing locations and new locations.” does that mean that if I put only the new location that the user will be removed from the existing locations?

I ask because the new location will be readily available from the previous zap step, but the existing locations will not be. I’d have to figure a way to pull from HighLevel what that user’s current location list is, which I’d prefer to avoid if I can just add the user to the new location, without wiping out their access to their current locations.

Cheers,

Kalon

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Kalon

When you say, “Make sure to include the existing locations and new locations.” does that mean that if I put only the new location that the user will be removed from the existing locations?

Yes, you’ll want to always include the full list of locations you want the user to be assigned to, so you may have to retrieve the user first to get their current list, then append to that list.

Ugh. 

This is getting more complex by the minute.

I have no idea how to:

“retrieve the user first to get their current list, then append to that list.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Kalon 

Maybe it’d be worth hiring a Zapier Expert to help: https://zapier.com/experts

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hey @Kalon 

You would need to add a GET webhook step before the PUT one to find a user (from their email address):

The API docs give an example of how you’d send that and what you would receive as a response. That would give you the existing locations which you could use in the PUT step. 

So, to summarize you would need: 

1. A GET webhook step that will search for a user and return all of their information, including their existing locations
  2. A PUT webhook step where you update a user, and under locations you would include their existing locations (that you’ll have from the previous step) in addition to any new ones.

I’m not going to lie, this is getting pretty advanced for the average user, but you can definitely give it a go! As Troy said, if it’s too much work for you right now you can hire a Zapier Expert to build the Zap for you. I hope that helps!

Thank you Danvers and Troy.