Question

Using loops to update a Zapier table? (Tables + Interfaces)

• 23 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all - I am trying to do a couple of things with Zapier interfaces/ tables and I’m stuck

• I have a form, when a user types a value it starts the zap
  • I want the zap to update the table on the interface. I can get the zap to use a loop and create 25 new records, but I want them to be erased and re-written each time
  • I tried using update records in the loop, but its only updating the first record, and not each
  • I also thought about dynamically creating a new table with the zap each time, but I can’t figure out how to show a table in zapier interfaces thats not already created

Help appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome @Jwoosley, thanks for joining us in the Community! 😁

There is a Delete Record action for Zapier Tables that you could use in a loop to erase the rows before adding new ones with a Create Record action. But I’m a little confused as to why they would need to be erased and re-written each time. What type of data is being stored in the table? You mentioned that a form triggers the Zap, so are you looking to store the information that’s captured by the form into the table but split it out across 25 rows?

You also mentioned that you tried using the Update Record action to update the existing records but it was only updating the first. Was that happening while testing each action within the loop? When testing in the Zap Editor it will only ever process the information from the first item in the loop, but when the Zap is turned on it would run through each table record individually, not just the first one. If you turn the Zap on does it update the rows as hoped?

With wanting to create a new table, is it that you looking to overwrite the existing table with a brand new table? Or are you looking to create a new table each time someone fills out the form that triggers the Zap?

Sorry for my confusion here, but if you can share some further details to help us to better understand the desired workflow we’ll be happy to make some suggestions. Also, any screenshots you can share to help illustrate what you’re looking to do here would be much appreciated. Please remember to remove/hide any private information like names, emails, phone numbers etc. from any screenshots first.

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Userlevel 1

Welcome @Jwoosley, thanks for joining us in the Community! 😁

There is a Delete Record action for Zapier Tables that you could use in a loop to erase the rows before adding new ones with a Create Record action. But I’m a little confused as to why they would need to be erased and re-written each time. What type of data is being stored in the table? You mentioned that a form triggers the Zap, so are you looking to store the information that’s captured by the form into the table but split it out across 25 rows?

You also mentioned that you tried using the Update Record action to update the existing records but it was only updating the first. Was that happening while testing each action within the loop? When testing in the Zap Editor it will only ever process the information from the first item in the loop, but when the Zap is turned on it would run through each table record individually, not just the first one. If you turn the Zap on does it update the rows as hoped?

With wanting to create a new table, is it that you looking to overwrite the existing table with a brand new table? Or are you looking to create a new table each time someone fills out the form that triggers the Zap?

Sorry for my confusion here, but if you can share some further details to help us to better understand the desired workflow we’ll be happy to make some suggestions. Also, any screenshots you can share to help illustrate what you’re looking to do here would be much appreciated. Please remember to remove/hide any private information like names, emails, phone numbers etc. from any screenshots first.

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

SamB thanks for the thoughtful response. So here is a bit more detail now that I’ve had some coffee.

In Zapier interface I have a form where a person can type in a term. Then the zap searches that term against an api, that produces let’s say 25 records across five fields. I want a table below that form to update and show the results. Thats what I’m trying to do. The problem with the update record action is that it is asking for a record ID, so since I can only specify one record, the loop just updates that one record every time it runs through. I think the problem is the same with delete record. Any help would be appreciated. I also thought as I mentioned of creating a new table each time the term is entered but can’t figure out how to get a table to display that is not already created if that makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me @Jwoosley!

Ah, yes I don’t think it will be possible to have the Zap create a new table and have that added into the Interface automatically. I took a look but it seems there’s no way to select where it should be displayed when creating a new table.

Hmm, there’s a Find Records (Output as Line Items) action for Zapier Tables that you could potentially use to find multiple records as line items. I’m thinking that should give you the IDs for each record that it finds. Then you could pass those line item details for the records that were found over to the Looping by Zapier action to get it to run through each row and update it as necessary.

Do you think that approach could work?