Best answer

Trello custom drop down field not updating

• 31 October 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to send information to a custom field on a trello card (action is when a Microsoft To Do task is created). The custom field is a drop down menu type, with three options: low, medium, and high. The information coming over from Microsoft To Do has the words “low”, “medium”, or “high” in the task as one of the pieces of data tied to the to do task, so when building the zap action, it shows that I can pipe that word into the appropriate custom field. However, when I test the zap, the custom field did not update (aka, no drop down item was selected, even though I zapped in the word that matches one of the field’s selections). Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up a zap where a specific item in a drop down custom field would be selected upon triggering of a zap?

icon

Best answer by ShannonKasperson 1 November 2021, 02:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @ShannonKasperson ,

Can you share the screenshot of your action? I would like to see how have you configured.

Userlevel 1

Actually, I figured it out. I guess each drop down item in Trello had it’s own custom number system, so that’s what I needed to program into the lookup table (see below). The red category is now taking on the code of “high”, yellow is now the “medium”, and green is now the “low” options in my trello custom field. When I piped in this transformed text it worked. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Understood ,and you are right every value has some id. 

Thanks for updating here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ShannonKasperson 

Yes, field values often have an internal ID that needs to be used when mapping variables via the ‘CUSTOM’ option.

@Troy Tessalone Can you tell me more about how I find the internal ID for the different drop down items I may have in a Trello card? I can’t seem to recall how I find those initial internal IDs for the different options I was trying to zap in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ShannonKasperson / @Shannon Kasperson 

Try looking at the list of dropdown values for the desired field in the Zap step configuration.

The list will show the friendly name and the internal ID (smaller gray font underneath).

I’ve had to manually scrape these values before, otherwise, you have to get the Trello API involved: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-to-set-up-your-google-spreadsheet-to-work-with-zapier

@Troy Tessalone I don’t think that worked for me. I’m creating a zap where when I update a google sheet row, it finds the trello card (by trello card name, found on both the trello card and google sheet row), and then updates a custom field in the trello card. The problem is someone will manually type in the information in a cell on the google sheet, and it’s zapping to a trello custom field that is formatted as a drop down. So even if someone types in the extact text that matches a dropdown option, it won’t zap unless I get the internal ID for that dropdown option and build a look up table step, and then program in that step into the final action step. 

When I attempt to find the ID, the light gray just shows me the name of the dropdown option, not the internal ID. Not this is pulling information from the “find a card” step. The trigger was “update to a google sheet row”, and then I did the “find a card by name” step, and this is the third step, the lookup step. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ShannonKasperson 

The Trello Field IDs will need to be found from a Trello Zap step.

Well, from messing with the final step, I was able to see the IDs in light gray you were talking about. So while I wasn’t sure what zap step would have found them, I have found them now! Thanks for your super fast responses; it’s very much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For other that may be inquiring...

Example