Skip to main content

I am working on setting up a date column in Monday.com and when a new item is created I want the date to automatically populate with the date of the upcoming Friday. So if a new item was created today Wednesday September 11th, it would generate September 13th in the date column. Right now Monday.com only has an automation to generate Today as the date and I am hoping there is a way to do this with a Zap.

Hi @Pepp 

What is the logic for if a Monday Item is created on a Friday?

Should it be the current date or the next Friday date?

@Pepp 

Try this Zap action: Formatter > Date & Time > Format

Set the Input: Friday

NOTE: If the current date is a Friday it will return the current Friday

You may have to add additional logic to determine the current date, then handle accordingly, possibly via Paths.

Other options:

System generated timestamps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496275717261

@Troy Tessalone 

I am building a document that returns the pay day for a commission so even if I am creating the document on a Wednesday they will still be paid on Friday and that is the date I want to have on the report. So I don’t know if that changes how you would recommend I set the Zap up

@Pepp 

But what is the logic if the Monday Item is created on a Friday, should the date be the same date as the current Friday, or the next Friday?

@Troy Tessalone 

Now I understand your question! So for a new item it would not matter as I have a second automation that when we reach the specific date it pushes it out another 7 days to the next Friday. So if there is a way to make one Zap that would just always have the date of the Friday of that week that would be even better.

@Pepp 

Did you try this previous suggestion?

Try this Zap action: Formatter > Date & Time > Format

Set the Input: Friday

@Troy Tessalone 

Yes I tried that and when I tested it the output was correct and came back with Sep 13 2024, but the part I am stuck on is getting it to add that to the column. I have tried adding another step but I am not seeing anything in the Monday section that makes me think it will add that date into the column.

@Pepp 

We would need to see screenshots with how you Monday Item Zap step is configured in EDIT mode so we can see the field types.

Make sure to use this date format: YYYY-MM-DD

@Troy Tessalone 

I attached a screenshot of where I have gotten to, but I am not sure if I am using the correct Action Event for Monday

@Pepp 

Use this Zap action: Monday - Change Multiple Columns Value

Hey @Troy Tessalone,

I think I was able to figure that part out with what you recommended, the only other question I had is what do I enter for the Item ID, as it will be a new Item that is generated there isn’t an Item ID for that future Item yet.

Thank you for all of your help!

@Pepp 

Map the ID of the Item from Step 1 if you are updating the same Item.

If you are trying to create a new Item, then use this Zap action: Monday - Create Item

So when I go to select an Item ID I select the New Item step that I already have in this Zap, do I select the Item ID from in there? Or do I need to do something different?

@Pepp 

If you are trying to update the same Monday Item that triggered the Zap in step 1, then in Step 3 for the Item field you would map the variable that represent the ID of the Monday Item from Step 1.

@Troy Tessalone 

I apologize this is the first time I have worked with Zapier, I am trying to update the same Monday Item that triggered the Zap in step 1, like you said, I am confused on how to map the variable though.

@Pepp 

Help link for how to configure Zap action steps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action

For the Item ID field, click the ...] button at the right, and change it to Custom, then map the variable from Step 1 that has a value for the Item ID.

@Troy Tessalone 

I was able to get it working! Thank you very much for being patient with me and for all of your help! I really appreciate it!!