Best answer

Need help with Patreon app

• 23 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello Everyone,

I am currently working on a live streaming setup and am currently stuck. I am looking for a way to display my most recent pledge member on my stream. Similiar to the way StreamLabels can track recent followers, donations, etc. Since (after over 3 years of the community asking) StreamLabels does not currently support Patreon in that way I am tasked to find my own solution. I tried to use a zap that will update a Google doc on Google Drive, and I got that to work, but unfortunately OBS cannot pull data from a .docx file. I tried the same function with OneDrive, instead of Google drive, but in the zap functions I could not find an option to append a text document. Is it possible to create a zap that will update a text file that I can store locally on my PC so that OBS can pull the data from to update my stream with the name of my most recent pledger from Patreon? I am not a rich man but I would be willing to pay someone that can help solve this problem. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I appreciate any and all help recieved. 

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 23 July 2020, 20:38

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Many thanks to you Paul. I got it working perfectly. I was going to try Dropbox next but I got so frustrated after my failures with Google Drive and OneDrive that I decided to walk away for a day or so and then come back to try again. Again thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply to it. Kudos dude :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Captain Cobra while technically the answer is no, Zapier cannot write to a text file stored on your local machine there are a couple of workarounds, they all follow a similar process:

• Zapier writes to or creates a text file on a storage service (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc)
  • The storage service syncs with your local machine
  • OBS pulls from the text file that the storage service synced to your machine. 

I would recommend Dropbox as they have exactly the functionality you are looking for, the sync to your machine AND the append to a text file:

Let me know if you need additional help, but I suspect based on what you’ve tried before that you’ll be able to accomplish this with Dropbox and a little time. However, if not, we can get it set up for you. email me here.