Skip to main content

I’m using Zapier to create a slack channel (Using the general action, not the “create private channel” action), but the channel ID created for that channel, and shown in subsequent Zapier steps, starts with an “N” (indicating private channel). At some point, this ID goes away when Slack silently promotes it to a public channel (changing the ID to start with a “C”), but now the original ID is no longer valid.

What is happening here, and why is the Zap not creating the “C” ID initially? How can I get the subsequently created “C” ID?

Hi @Admin TBD 

Can you show screenshots from your live Zap Runs showing the DATA IN/OUT for the Zap steps to provide an examples of the changing Slack Channel IDs?

@Troy Tessalone, here you can see the two steps...

Create the channel -- using “Create Channel” versus “Create Private Channel”)

In the next step, when I want to use the ID of the newly created channel, it is an “N” ID (versus a “C” ID). However, that channel, when viewed in Slack slient is a “C” ID (and I don’t think the “N” ID is valid anymore)

@Admin TBD 

Have you tried turning your Zap ON and testing live?

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the real data IN/OUT for each Zap step.

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Hi @Admin TBD 👋

Not sure if you’ve had a chance to test the Zap live yet, as Troy suggested but I tested a Create Channel action just now and it created a new public channel that wasn’t private and the ID started with a C not an N:

17d3ef3a5f652512d953bf6ce935d5cb.png

So I wanted to suggest adding a brand new Create Channel action to the Zap and see if that is able to create the channel correctly. Just thinking that there may be some glitch with the current version of the Create Channel action you’re using, in which case adding a new Create Channel action to the Zap may help to get things working.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!