Skip to main content

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

I’m attempting to update an existing subscriber in Aweber by REMOVING an existing tag when they cancel membership in our Mighty Networks community. 

I’m specifically confused about the steps once in Aweber. I have the steps defined with Mighty Networks. 

I don’t know if I need a “Find Subscriber” step in my workflow or not. I’m currently trying to use one. That parts seems to be successful. 

But once I get to the Update Subscriber step, I don’t know what to put in the Subscriber field. Aweber advised me to use the email address from Mighty Networks but that seems to fail on the testing step. 

Screenshots follow: 

This is the current overall sequence I’m trying to set up: 

Hi @JennaAvery 

The Subscriber field expects the Subscriber ID from the previous step.

Click the Subscriber label to see a tooltip for more info.

Hi Troy, thank you so much for your help. When I go back to the previous step and choose the Aweber User ID OR the Mighty Networks User ID I get similar error messages as before.

Note that in prior settings I have NOT chosen to create a subscriber in Aweber. 

This is the result when testing with the Aweber user ID:

This is the result when testing with the Mighty Networks user ID:

I tested by setting the specific subscriber ID to MY personal user ID on the Aweber list and the remove tag function worked… but what will this do with future cancellations? I want my personal user ID to keep the tag (it also took my last name off my profile on Aweber, interestingly) AND I want this to work for other subscribers. The way this Zap is set up makes it seem like anyone who cancels will remove a tag from MY record not from their own. I’m hoping I’m just misunderstanding how this particular Zap works.

Any guidance is appreciated very much.

Jenna

p.s. I removed the second Find Subscriber step and it seems to be working without it. Does that seem right? 

@JennaAvery 

If you still need help, post updated screenshots showing how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode.

Yes, I still need help. I don't understand yet if I have this configured correctly. 

This is the initial trigger:

This is the second step I have now (I’ve deleted the Find Subscriber step):

It’s at this stage I’m confused because I seem to have to choose a SPECIFIC subscriber for the Subscriber field:

I want to know if this Zap will work for ANY subscriber that triggers the Zap initially; it seems like it’ll affect the one specific subscriber somehow. 

@JennaAvery 

You likely need to add back the Zap step: AWeber - Find Subscriber

Find Subscriber by their Email from Step 1.

If a Subscriber is found, it will return the AWeber Subscriber ID.

Then you can map the AWeber Subscriber ID to the Zap action: AWeber - Update Subscriber

Use the ...] button at the right of the field to change to “Custom” mode.

Then you can use the +] button to map the variable for the AWeber Subscriber ID from the previous step.

That will make the Zap dynamic.

When I was trying that option it was returning a “no data” field for Aweber. 

Also I don’t have a pro account so I’m trying to figure out if I can accomplish this without a multi-step zap.

The way I have it configured as in my prior post is “working” in that it successfully removes the tag from my record on Aweber, and all the tests are going through… but I’m not convinced it’ll work for anyone who causes the trigger to fire (i.e. someone leaves the space on Mighty).

@JennaAvery 

Unless Mighty Networks returns the AWeber Subscriber ID (not Email), it will require a multi-step Zap, which requires a Zapier paid plan.

Did you test Zap step 2 to find a Subscriber?

Did the test for Zap step 2 find a Subscriber?

If either of those answers is NO, then that is why there is “No Data” for the mapped ID variable from Step 2.