Skip to main content

I want to use BambooHR as a source of truth for multiple attributes of users in Azure/Entra.
Trigger should be any change to users in BambooHR and this should sync that change through.
I have tested with a single attribute, Department, and that syncs correctly.

My issue is, the Zap insists on using having a UPN applied for the sync.
So a specific user must be entered.

Is it possible to create a zap that will change sync attributes for any active Azure member without specifically setting up a zap ‘per user’ ?

Hi @yoixy 

For us to have more info, post screenshots showing how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode so we can see the field mappings.

So I need the UPN to be a wildcard, and this is all i see offered in the dynamic field:

@yoixy 

You will either need to use one of these:

How exactly can these help?

@yoixy 

The Azure Zap step expects a User ID or User Principal Name.

So to make the Zap step dynamic you need a variable mapped.

You either need to use a lookup table to translate an email address from step 1 to an Azure User ID/Name OR use the Azure API to search for a user by email to get the Azure User ID/Name.

Ok Thanks.
Can you help me with where I can learn how to enable the Azure API?

@yoixy 

Using app APIs in Zaps is an advanced approach that involves technical concepts.

Azure Active Directory API: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/azure/

Zap Action: Azure Active Directory - API Request

Is there no way I can push the employee being updated in the BambooHR step to the Azure step?

I am able to populate the UPN field with the email address of the user being updated from BambooHR
(see screenshot)

This does not match the UPN in Azure unfortunately.
There is nowhere in BambooHR to enter a username or UPN.
Is there a way to map the email to UPN in the Azure step?

@yoixy 

Is there a way to map the email to UPN in the Azure step?

That is the purpose of an external lookup table or using the Azure API, to find/lookup an email address from BambooHR to get the Azure User ID/Name.

Ok , Thanks Troy.
I’ll have a look online for some help with that step

Hi @yoixy,

Let us know if you need anything else. So we can further assist you. Keep us on the loop. Thank you.

Good news on the Azure API, I got it to pull what i needed and plug it into the Azure Update-user Zap step!

To do this I used the first step (BambooHR) to include ‘Work Email’ in the output

In Step 2 I used this to filter the UPN in Azure using the API request

Then in step 3 i plugged the variable from step 2 into the UPN field and set ‘Department’ to the ‘Changed fields varible.

This now collects the correct UPN but it is not updating the ‘Department’ field in Azure with the actual department. Just the word ‘Department’…

I think this is because in Step 1 i Changed the output to ‘Work Email’ instead of ‘Department’.

Is there a way to fix this?

Hi @yoixy,

It looks like the Department data comes from the trigger. You might need to call the output of the Department field in the “Which fields should be included in the output of this step?” field in the trigger and remap the data on the “Department” field of the “Update User” step.

b9fd6491e4cf7b9afc5895a476f0a440.png
(view larger)

Hopefully, this helps.

What can I remap the Update user department field to?
It needs the department data from BambooHR

Hi @yoixy,

After selecting the Department value from the "Which fields should be included in the output of this step?" dropdown, you will need to load new sample data from the trigger. Click on the “Find new records” button to do so, and then use the latest sample data. After that, map the “Department” field in the Azure Active Directory action step to the corresponding data from the trigger.

I believe the Department data you’re looking for from the trigger is the one labeled as “Department Value.”

Hope this helps!

Thanks @ken.a 
Thant has done the trick!

All working correctly now.

You are most welcome @yoixy!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗