Skip to main content

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hello. I have a functioning Zap where a starred email in Gmail triggers the extraction of the date, names, and body of the email, which are then added to a Google Sheets row. However, I need to modify this Zap so that instead of just capturing the body of the starred email on “Context”, it captures the entire body of the thread associated with the starred email.

I am unsure how to modify the Zap to include emails from the entire thread. Does anyone have experience with setting up a Zap that pulls all messages from a thread? Additionally, is this something that can be accomplished with standard Zapier actions, or will I need to use custom scripting via 'Code by Zapier'?

Any advice or pointers on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi @Tim Devilbiss, welcome to the Community! 🎉

If the past emails were kept within the email body when each person replied then they should appear in that Body Plain field marked by chevrons (>) for example:
c4c9f331b5835b3b0a002222b9f5653e.png

Are you wanting the past replies to be added in to separate rows in the Google Sheets spreadsheet? If it’s separate rows then you could potentially use a Code or a ChatGPT (or another AI app) action to split out each reply based where into separate line items, then you could pass those along to a Create Multiple Spreadsheet Rows Google Sheets action to put each reply out into a separate row. 

If the past conversations weren’t kept when replying, then you may need to star each reply individually to get the Zap to see it. That said, the New Starred Email trigger can only trigger on emails that were created within the last two days. So it may be better to label instead of staring the emails and switch to the New Labeled Email trigger as that doesn’t have any such create date limitations. Not an ideal solution I know, especially if there’s multiple emails in the thread, so I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team to put in a feature request for the either the entire email thread to be included in a separate field on the New Starred Email trigger, or to have a search action added that can pull the entire conversation history. You can reach out to them about this here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Hope that helps get you headed in the right direction. If you run into any issues or have further questions do let us know! 🙂