Best answer

Find Google Drive Folder by ID

• 10 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to create a zap that can search for a folder name based on a file ID or some method other than by folder name.

My zap is triggered off a new file being added to our Google Drive (any folder).

The data output from this trigger does not include the folder name for some reason, so I need a search step that can pull that information.

I tried the file title, ID and embed link as the search value with no luck. Any other suggestions?

icon

Best answer by SamB 11 January 2023, 12:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @c2b 

Good question.

Perhaps you can explain your use case with more detail in terms of the Zap steps you are trying to configure beyond GDrive Find Folder and why you need the GDrive Folder Name so we have more context.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @c2b! 🙂

You’re right, it looks like we only get the folder ID not the name. And it’s only possible to search by folder name rather than ID on that Find a Folder action. There’s an existing feature request to allow the Find a Folder action to search by ID instead of just name so I’ve added your vote for that. We’ll email you as soon as it’s added. 

One workaround in the meantime might be to add the folder name directly in the file title in a consistent naming convention like foldername_filename.pdf. Then you could use a Formatter (Text > Split Text) action to extract the folder name from the first part of the filename. For example:
48f721f7b04249d2b9b510fcc4a9de32.png

Then you could use the extracted folder name in the Find a Folder step. Not ideal I know but might be worth a try in the meantime? If you give that workaround a try and run into any issues just let us know! 

Hi there @SamB 

We’re facing the same issue for our integration. Is there any ETA on this feature being released? Could you keep us up to date aswell?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @SynetonPulse 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once an update is available. Thank you.