Skip to main content

Hey everyone,

I'm working on an automation in Zapier that aims to duplicate tasks in Asana based on a custom multi-select field and certain conditions. I'm having an issue that I can't solve on my own, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Here's the scenario: I have a custom field in Asana called "Duplicate_in," which is a multi-select field containing a list of languages (e.g., Hindi, Portuguese, Arabic). Each task in the project can be duplicated based on the selected languages in this field. I want Zapier to automatically:

1. Duplicate the task for each language listed.

2. Change the "Target Language" field value to the corresponding language for each duplicate.

3. Clear the "Duplicate_in" field after the duplication is done.

4. Keep all other custom fields unchanged (e.g., description, attachments, subtasks).

Currently, the Zap I've set up looks like this:

1. Trigger: "Updated Task" in Asana – the trigger fires when a task is updated, specifically when the "Duplicate_in" field changes.

2. Filter by Zapier: Check if the task is in the "Backlog" section and if the "Duplicate_in" field is not empty.

3. Looping by Zapier: I use Looping by Zapier to process each language from the "Duplicate_in" field.

4. Create Task: Create a new task in Asana for each language in the loop.

5. Update Task: After duplication, clear the "Duplicate_in" field in the original task.

The problem is that in the Looping by Zapier step, the "Duplicate_in" field is not processed correctly – instead of displaying the language values (e.g., Hindi, Portuguese, Arabic), it only shows the field name "Duplicate_in".

I've tried:

• Retesting the trigger to make sure the data is refreshed.

• Ensuring that the "Duplicate_in" field is correctly filled in the task.

• Using "Formatter by Zapier" with the "Split Text" option, but there's no clear separator in Asana since it's a multi-select field.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue and knows how to properly configure Zapier to process values from a multi-select field as separate items in a loop? I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thank you in advance for your advice! 😊

Additional request: If anyone has a general suggestion on how to approach this Zap, I'd really appreciate it. Perhaps there's a better way to achieve this goal, or my approach might need optimization. Any advice or alternative method would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance! 😊

Be the first to reply!