Skip to main content

I have a Zap set up that I can add tags to Get Response contact based on a subscription. However, when the subscription changes, I want to be able to remove a tag from the contact.

Currently, the only Zap options for Get Response are to Add tags. How can I set up code or some custom action to remove a tag? 

I’ve tried to use the AI prompt but I can’t seem to get it to perform properly. 

Hi @The Grove 

You may have to explore these options:

NOTE: You may have to “update” the contact, and only provide the list of Tags you still want assigned to the Contact, rather than simply removing a single Tag.

e.g. If the Contact has 3 tags and you want to remove 1 Tag, you would update the Contact to have 2 Tags, thus removing the 1 Tag.

Hi Troy, 

I can’t seem to get the custom action to fire correctly. 

I took to ChatGPT and asked for its help and here’s what I’ve got so far.. I know I need to update the apiKey field with my actual API, which I’ve done. But I’m still getting a error message (below) after the code is ran. 

const contactId = inputData.contactId;  // Get the contact ID from the previous step
const tagId = inputData.tagId;  // ID for 'MEMBER_Community'
const apiKey = 'your-getresponse-api-key';  // Your GetResponse API key

// Set up the API request URL
const url = `https://api.getresponse.com/v3/contacts/${contactId}/tags/${tagId}`;

const options = {
  method: 'DELETE',
  headers: {
    'X-Auth-Token': `api-key ${apiKey}`,
    'Content-Type': 'application/json'
  }
};

// Make the API request using fetch with callback
fetch(url, options)
  .then(response => {
    if (!response.ok) {
      throw new Error(`Error: ${response.statusText}`);
    }
    return response.json();
  })
  .then(data => {
    // Return a success message if the tag was removed successfully
    callback(null, { success: true, data: data });
  })
  .catch(error => {
    // Return the error message if something went wrong
    callback(null, { success: false, error: error.message });
  });

=======

Success false Error Error: Not Found ID eBtx4Epr4nb1HE45KpN4IZkJRz9laZWM runtime_meta Runtime Meta Memory Used Mb 77 Runtime Meta Duration Ms 636 Runtime Meta Logs Runtime Meta Async true

So, it seems it’s not able to find the contact from the lookup on the previous Zap. 

The call from the previous Zap looks at the email from Circle (the subscription platform) and should find and update the contact based on that. Here’s a screenshot: https://share.zight.com/E0uOybNY 

Can you assist me with putting together the missing pieces?

@The Grove

For us to have more context, post screenshots showing how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode so we can see the field types/mappings along with any encountered errors.

Hi Troy, 

I can’t seem to get the custom action to fire correctly. 

I took to ChatGPT and asked for its help and here’s what I’ve got so far.. I know I need to update the apiKey field with my actual API, which I’ve done. But I’m still getting a error message (below) after the code is ran. 

const contactId = inputData.contactId;  // Get the contact ID from the previous step
const tagId = inputData.tagId;  // ID for 'MEMBER_Community'
const apiKey = 'your-getresponse-api-key';  // Your GetResponse API key

// Set up the API request URL
const url = `https://api.getresponse.com/v3/contacts/${contactId}/tags/${tagId}`;

const options = {
  method: 'DELETE',
  headers: {
    'X-Auth-Token': `api-key ${apiKey}`,
    'Content-Type': 'application/json'
  }
};

// Make the API request using fetch with callback
fetch(url, options)
  .then(response => {
    if (!response.ok) {
      throw new Error(`Error: ${response.statusText}`);
    }
    return response.json();
  })
  .then(data => {
    // Return a success message if the tag was removed successfully
    callback(null, { success: true, data: data });
  })
  .catch(error => {
    // Return the error message if something went wrong
    callback(null, { success: false, error: error.message });
  });

=======

Success false Error Error: Not Found ID eBtx4Epr4nb1HE45KpN4IZkJRz9laZWM runtime_meta Runtime Meta Memory Used Mb 77 Runtime Meta Duration Ms 636 Runtime Meta Logs Runtime Meta Async true

So, it seems it’s not able to find the contact from the lookup on the previous Zap. 

The call from the previous Zap looks at the email from Circle (the subscription platform) and should find and update the contact based on that. Here’s a screenshot: https://glitzyinfo.com/

Can you assist me with putting together the missing pieces?

To remove a tag in GetResponse, first, log in to your GetResponse account and navigate to the Contacts section. Once there, select the contacts you wish to modify by checking the boxes next to their names. After selecting the contacts, click on the Tags button located in the top menu. From the dropdown menu, choose the Remove Tag option. A pop-up will appear, prompting you to select the specific tag you want to remove. After selecting the tag, confirm your choice by clicking Remove. This process allows you to efficiently manage your contact list and ensure that your tags accurately reflect your segmentation strategy.