Skip to main content

I receive information via a form on Squarespace which then finds a contact in Wealthbox CRM (based data from that form), and through a webhook PUT request step, I am able to update single item fields (first name, email, etc.) within Wealthbox. HOWEVER, I cannot figure out how to enter the payload data in order to get items like an address with child attributes to update.  Since there may be a primary, mailing address, or business, I don’t know what I need to do differently to pick which one to update.

Here is the API guide for Wealthbox: https://dev.wealthbox.com/?_gl=1*teaigl*_gcl_au*MTI2Nzg2OTkyLjE3MjI5ODIyNzU.#contacts-contact-put

Here is a screenshot showing what the output fields are with the current sample data after testing (NOTE: the fields are already populated, but in my testing, the street_line_1 should read as Sample Address Line 1):

And the information I enter (the payload field information is street_addressesa1]rstreet_line_1]):

I need some guidance on how to format the payload on the request.  I even tried the custom formatting and used the AI chatbot helper and it still wouldn’t push through.

I can’t seem to find anything wrong and have tried a ton of different formats with no luck.

Thank you!

Hi @technomnky 

You may need to use this Zap action: Webhook - Custom Request (PUT)

That allows you to configure the JSON structure.

Also, look at the Response Body in the API endpoint documentation you provided.

{
"street_addresses": :
{
"street_line_1": "155 12th Ave.",
"street_line_2": "Apt 3B",
"city": "New York",
"state": "New York",
"zip_code": "10001",
"country": "United States",
"principal": true,
"kind": "Work",
"id": 1,
"address": "155 12th Ave., Apt 3B, New York, New York 10001, United States"
}
]
}

Thanks for the response @Troy Tessalone, but I’ve already tried the custom PUT without any luck too.  I can update the non-nested/child fields like name, birthdate, etc., but for some reason these nested ones just aren’t taking any updates - I imagine it has to be somehow related to the “ID” of the nested attribute.  In Zapier I’ve tried doing it with just “1” as well as with the full ID listed and different structures but now I’ve gotten beyond my capabilities and run out of ideas...

@technomnky 

For us to have more info, post these screenshots:

• how your Zap step is configured in EDIT mode so we can see all the fields
  • any encountered errors

Thanks for keeping it going, Troy.  Screenshot below.  No errors are encountered when tested.  I think I’ve tried all variations of using unflatten or data pass through too.  I have also tried changing the “id”: to 0 or 1 as well.

@technomnky 

The screenshots does not show the following which can impact the API request:

• Method
  • URL
  • Headers

Sorry, I left those off as I thought I had already confirmed separately.

Method is PUT.  

URL is https://api.crmworkspace.com/v1/contacts/ >I removed the client ID number for privacy purposes, but this is different than the address id listed later] - but I know the URL works as I am able to write the single line data (name, dates, etc) in the webhook PUT code with it.

Header is: ACCESS_TOKEN and then the code, which again I’m leaving out for privacy purposes.  But as with the URL, it works.  But if there is an additional header I need for something like this, I’m open to that (hadn’t thought that might be needed?).

@technomnky 

Best to provide screenshots that show how the Zap step is actually configured.

Show & Tell vs just Show or just Tell.

You can black out any private info.

@technomnky 

Make sure you are using valid JSON.

JSON validator tool: https://jsonlint.com/

{
"street_addresses":
{
"street_line_1": "155 12th Ave.",
"street_line_2": "Apt 3B",
"city": "New York",
"state": "New York",
"zip_code": "10001",
"country": "United States",
"principal": true,
"kind": "Work",
"id": 1,
"address": "155 12th Ave., Apt 3B, New York, New York 10001, United States"
}
]
}

I updated it with the proper formatting and still no change.  Tried with the phone number update too and see no changes.  I see nothing that says I need to unflatten it or have data pass through as true and I’m scouring the help doc but see nothing else.

Any luck figuring this out @technomnky ? I’m oddly trying to solve the same thing.

Negative, still just a black hole of time wasted so far trying to get it!  If you figure it out, I’d be thrilled to hear what it is.

@technomnky and @rmannenbw 

If you are considering hiring help, there is a directory of Certified Zapier Experts: https://zapier.com/experts

Lauren H. with Zapier support came through with the solution - the problem was we need to add a content-type header.

@technomnky This is exactly how I’m sending mine via custom request and it’s working now.

Hot dawg, it worked!  Thanks for keeping me updated!  What a relief...

Sorry, I left those off as I thought I had already confirmed separately.

Method is PUT.  

URL is alight motion sample projects >I removed the client ID number for privacy purposes, but this is different than the address id listed later] - but I know the URL works as I am able to write the single line data (name, dates, etc) in the webhook PUT code with it.

Header is: ACCESS_TOKEN and then the code, which again I’m leaving out for privacy purposes.  But as with the URL, it works.  But if there is an additional header I need for something like this, I’m open to that (hadn’t thought that might be needed?).