Best answer

Microsoft Excel error: The app returned "You do not have permission to open this file in the browser.".

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

All steps that involve Excel are currently erroring in all my Zaps.

It's giving the error: The app returned "You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser.".

I've 'Tested' and 'Reconnected' Excel in Apps.

I've tried creating a new Zap with an Excel step (using both the existing and a newly added Excel connection) and it doesn't produce anything at the 'Worksheet' stage (having successfully selected a 'Spreadsheet').

It seems to be the same error detailed at https://community.zapier.com/troubleshooting-99/connecting-to-excel-is-giving-you-do-not-have-permissions-to-open-this-file-in-the-browser-32095

I've been in contact with Zapier help and they have only been able to suggest that I check the Share setting in Excel but all that seems to do is add an email got shared access or generate a share link a I don't see how that would help.

Any help with what to do to get this working would be appreciated :)

Jon

icon

Best answer by ken.a 21 March 2024, 10:26

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Olimpo,

I have added you to the open bug report as another affected member. We will keep you updated via email once the bug has been fixed.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

@ken.a could you please add me to your email list as well? I have the same error with my excel sheets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Chnkx,

I have added your email address to the open bug report. We will keep you in the loop via email once the bug has been fixed.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

I did not have existing Zaps, but from a new Zap journey. I was able to resolve this error when I realized that you need ot be on Office 365 Business account vs a personal plan. Once I swapped to my business account this resolved the error!

Hope this helps someone, because it took hours away from me!

Hello, I have the same problem as of today. All my zaps connected to Microsoft Excel are not working anymore.

The app returned "You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser.".

Please help!