Question

How do I update an existing table with multi-row data ?

• 3 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I am trying to automate the updating of a table with new data rows, and I need some guidance on the best approach to use with Zapier. I have structured data that I want to upload into an existing table either via Zapier's "Interfaces" or directly into a Google Sheet. The data structure and the existing table both share the same format with four columns.

Here is the format of the data I need to update:

| Type | Description | Full Name | Details |
|---|---|---|---|
| Business | chemical... | John Doe | 10 years in.|
| Perso | biodiversity... | Peter Ashfield | not yet |
| Perso | electricity... | Mary Joe | 25 years in business|

I considered using Loops and the Format actions with a pipe separator, but it seems too complex, and I'm not sure it's the right approach. Here are some specific questions I have:

1. What is the easiest way to update a table in Google Sheets or via Zapier "Interfaces" with this structured data?
  2. Does this operation count as one zap per cell, making it 12 zaps in total, or is it counted as one zap per row, thus only 3 zaps needed?
  3. Is there a more straightforward method or best practice within Zapier to handle this kind of data update efficiently and cost-effectively?

I would really appreciate any guidance, tips, or examples on how to proceed with this task. I'm looking for the most straightforward method to ensure data integrity and minimize the number of operations (zaps).

Thanks in advance for your help and insights!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Johannes267 

Help article for how Tasks usage is counted in Zap Runs: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496196837261-How-is-usage-measured-in-Zapier

To help us have more context, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured.