Best answer

How do I remove +1 from phone numbers in Google Sheets using Triggers and Formatters?

I am trying to use Formatter to eliminate the +1 from phone numbers before they get sent to a Google sheet. The first thing it asks me is the Event. The Event list is empty and it won’t let me do anything else.

Would love some insight on this. Thanks. -Gabe

icon

Best answer by oneillg 7 May 2024, 20:32

View original

9 replies

I think I answered my own question. I needed a Trigger like Google Sheets to happen before the Formatter. I am trying to remove the +1 in phone number with an empty string. So I use Text, then +1 and left the next field blank. I connected it with the column in question. But it says it cannot Publish because I am missing a step. Anyone know of an example online to do this? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @oneillg 

Try using this Zap action: Formatter > Numbers > Format Phone Number

Hey thanks Troy. But when I do that I get the same result. “Publish” is greyed out and the message is “Please add another step. This type of step needs to be followed by another.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@oneillg

A Formatter step can NOT be the last step in a Zap.

You would add a GSheet step after to send the formatted output to GSheets.

For us to have context, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured.

@Troy Tessalone That’s helpful, thanks! Let me play with it then and if I still can’t get it to go then I’ll post screen shots. Thanks so much for your help.

Ok so I create a Google Sheets trigger drilling down to the phone number column being updated, followed by Formatter to remove the “+1”.  It says it needs another step. If I go back to that Google sheet it tells me a loop is going to happen.  Just confused as to what final step it’s looking for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@oneillg 

Posting screenshots will help us have true context about the purpose of the Zap you are trying to configure. (app/event for each step)

You may need Filter as step 2.

Help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Ah, I think I got it. I was trying to use this as a separate Zap. I think the idea is to insert the formatter into a current zap. i.e. Facebook Leads - > Formatter → Google Sheets. Thanks again @Troy Tessalone for helping.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@oneillg 

Yeah that would make more sense.