Skip to main content
Best answer

How do I reduce Zap triggers from Notion's "Updated Notion Database Item"?

• 4 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi guys, I have a problem which sounds easy to fix but does not seem to work in my use case.

Essentially I have 2 boards which are used to create briefs and then a secondary board which is essentially an overview of all the work and it’s current status.

How I have it set up and have it working currently is that when a card gets it’s status updated it finds the card in the card in the other database and updates it there too, easy enough and it works well - the problem is that people work on these cards in the first database (Comments etc) and the zap has a filter which includes every single status there is, so it sees that the status matches the filter and continues even if the status is the same.

For example:

I have a card and the status gets set to in progress, a zap will then find it in the other database and also set it to in progress (fine & good) - the problem now lies with when people comment or add stuff to the original card, the zap will run and use a task even though the status has remained the same as the filter will see that the status matches and continue. I am not even carrying over any content to the other board, just the title and the people assigned so only status changes are being read by it, but it is still using a task regardless.

I hope I am explaining this well enough.

Every status is included in the zap via paths so it will fire every single it is updated even though I only want it to fire when the status field changes but I do not see the option for that.

We only have about 40 cards, yet it has fired over 400 times because of people adding links or commenting on the card etc.

Is there a way to make the zap fire ONLY if the status field changes and not just when the card is updated or changed itself?

Many thanks for any insight anyone has!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @JustAnotherLiam,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Unfortunately, the “Updated Database Item” trigger doesn’t have a specific field to check for updates in. However, we do have an existing feature request for this exact functionality.

I have added your vote to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

In the meantime, you can stay in the loop/follow along with updates on the main topic here: 

Hopefully, this helps!

For anyone that comes across this and wants to be added please reach out on the main topic for this issue here and we’ll get you added to the feature request.

Hi, I would also like this feature as essentially notion integration ‘Updated database item’ is unusable for any kind of status based Zaps.  Any update? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Lewis,

Unfortunately, the feature request is still open. With that said, I have added you to the feature request. We will keep you in the loop via email once the feature has been implemented.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

For anyone that comes across this and wants to be added please reach out on the main topic for this issue here and we’ll get you added to the feature request.

Can you add me too I need this for complicated zaps where a notion database item gets updated. I dont want repeat messages to slack if someone adds a link or a comment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Camilo,

I have added you to the open feature request. We will keep you in the loop via email once the feature has been implemented.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

For anyone that comes across this and wants to be added please reach out on the main topic for this issue here and we’ll get you added to the feature request.