Best answer

Sub-zap returned values are unusable

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a zap that calls a sub-zap and returns a value from the sub-zap that I need to complete the zap process.

In the above photo I call the sub zap that creates the username from input data from previous steps.

This photo is the sub-zap. It takes the The 1st name, adds the 1st initial of the last name then attaches the date at the end. Returns the formatted Username to the zap to be used in subsequent steps.

Even through I can see the Output Value in the action step to update a record on zapier tables, when I test it, there is nothing there for the Username as shown below. I’m fairly new to this and this is bogging my mind as to why it is doing this.. 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 8 May 2024, 18:25

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @YourMaxTV 

Help article for using Sub-Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496308527629-Build-reusable-Sub-Zaps

To help you troubleshoot, check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to trace the data flow: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Make sure to check the Zap Run for the Sub-Zap too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey @Troy Tessalone 

The Zap appears to working as expected. I reviewed the zap run history and everything appears to be good, no errors. The data just isn’t being passed to function for some reason. I’m sure it’s something simple but I am having issues finding it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@YourMaxTV 

We would need to see screenshots of the DATA IN/OUT for the Zap Run steps to have context.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This is the data in
This is the data returned from the sub zap.
This is the path of the run.

This is the Update Record setup.

This is the data in for updating the record in zapier table. The arrow at new_data_f19: is where the returned data should be listed but it’s some sort of GEN code instead.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Troy Tessalone 

I do appreciate your quick responses. Zapier is WAY better than most at replying to a question than most.

Thanks
Your Max TV

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@YourMaxTV 

When you see the {{VAR}} for the DATA IN of a Zap step it means the mapped dynamic variable is either invalid and may need to be remapped in the Zap config, or that the mapped variable value was empty.

I’d recommend retesting your Zap steps and remapping those values, then test again live.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

WHATTTTT?????

REMAP????

I'm lost. I send data out, I get data back, i try to use that returned data in a step just below that. What mapping are we talking about? I did it the same way as I have done with everything else. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@YourMaxTV 

From your screenshots because the info is blacked out we are missing context to be able to trace the data flow between the DATA IN/OUT for the steps in the Zap Runs.

Need to see the DATA OUT from the Zap step where the data point in question comes from.

Need to see the DATA IN for the Zap step where you want to send the data point in question.

This doesn’t show the field name.

This doesn’t show the full {{VAR}} name.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Troy Tessalone 

I FINALLY I GOT IT!!!

It was indeed a mapping issue. I was getting the result I wanted but wasn’t storing the result into a variable. Once I did that then all was good. I was basically skipping a step. 

I hope this helps someone else solve their issue.

Thanks for the assistance Troy

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @YourMaxTV! Thanks to Troy for lending a hand and pointing you in the right direction!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗