Best answer

MS Teams Trigger "New Channel Message" fails with error "Missing role permissions on the request"

Userlevel 1

Hallo Community

I want to delegate a MS Teams channel message to Slack.

The Zap construction works well, but when I test the MS Teams Trigger “New Channel Message” I get the following error:

Unable to pull messages

Please reload the page. If the issue persists, troubleshoot error or contact Support.

Error code: Error while retrieving: The app returned "Missing role permissions on the request. API requires one of 'ChannelMessage.Read.All, Group.Read.All, Group.ReadWrite.All, ChannelMessage.Read.Group'. Roles on the request ''. Resource specific conse...". Missing role permissions on the request. API requires one of 'ChannelMessage.Read.All, Group.Read.All, Group.ReadWrite.All, ChannelMessage.Read.Group'. Roles on the request ''. Resource specific consent grants on the request ''.

It seems, that the Zapier App does not acquire sufficient rights of the MS Graph API to read the channel messages.

The Zapier Teams App is installed as well.

Please see the attached screenshots for configuration details:

icon

Best answer by Rouven 15 May 2024, 13:29

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Rouven 

Help articles for using MS Teams in Zaps that may provide guidance: https://zapier.com/apps/microsoft-teams/help

Userlevel 1

I read the articles, but there was no solution.

I tested other Teams trigger, e.g. “New Channel” which worked well.

The Event “New Channel Message” seems to lack the permission “ ChannelMessage.Read.All “ in Microsoft Entra App rights.

Can you add this required right, so that I can grant it?

Kind regards,

Rouven

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Rouven,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please try these for me?

1. Sign in to the Microsoft Teams admin center using an account with global admin or Teams service admin permissions.
  2. Navigate to the Teams apps and then click on Manage apps.
  3. Locate your Team  in Teams app.
  4. Click on the app and then click on Permissions.
  5. On the Permissions page, ensure that the 'ChannelMessage.Read.All', 'Group.Read.All', 'Group.ReadWrite.All', and 'ChannelMessage.Read.Group' permissions are granted. If not, turn on the toggle switch to grant these permissions.
  6. Click on Save to apply the changes.

After granting these permissions, test the Zap again to see if the issue has been resolved. If the issue persists, you may need to reconnect your Microsoft Teams account to Zapier.

Please note that these permissions must be granted by the Microsoft Teams admin, as they are not set at the individual user level. If you're not an admin, you'll need to contact your Teams admin to do this.

Also, make sure your Microsoft Teams account that you're connecting to Zapier is one of the following administrator roles: Global Administrator, Security Administrator, Security Reader or Privileged Role Administrator. You can find more information on how to view your permission level in Microsoft Teams here.

Userlevel 1

Hallo Ken,

I tried it but unfortunately I can not locate the “ AI Assistants”.

I found the Zapier-App and can view its permissions but I cannot change them. I am definitely a Global Administrator. (please see the screens)

Do you know how I can solve these issues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Rouven,

I’m so sorry for the confusion on my part. I did not mean to write AI Assistants on step 3.

It looks like the permissions are correct. Could you please let me know if the channel you’re trying to access is a shared channel?

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken,

The target channel “Allgemein” (General) is a “Default” channel.

Please see the screen below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Rouven,

Thanks for the update.

Could you please try reconnecting your Microsoft Teams account in Zapier? If that doesn’t work, since you have reached out to our Support Team and they replied last Wednesday.

I’d recommend replying to that email since our Support Team has the correct tools to look closer at the Zap and its logs and determine the cause of the issue.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken,

thank you for you advises. I’ll contact the Support Team.

Kind regards,

Rouven

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken, Hi Community,

I found the solution in another post.

You need to add the Zapier App explicitly to the channel where you want to use it.

Thank you for your support, it helped me a lot during the research 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s awesome @Rouven! Thank you for sharing the solution here this will be helpful to our Community members who might run into the similar problem.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗