Question

Archive Completed To-Do's in Basecamp

• 4 March 2022
  • 3 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi all

I have started using Basecamp and we are enjoying it as it is simple enough for my team to use. I’d love to use something with more features, but the team wouldn’t handle it I don’t think. 

Anyway, I want to somehow automatically archive completed to-do’s in Basecamp. The only way currently is to do it manually - so you tick off that you have done it, then it goes to the bottom of your list, then you have to click it again, click the . . . and then say archive.

You can’t turn off showing completed tasks, so the only way to stop having an enormous list that just keeps growing is to archive the tasks individually. 

Hope I have made sense!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Aussie_Golfer_Chick 

You’d likely have to use the Basecamp3 API for this which is an advanced approach: https://github.com/basecamp/bc3-api/blob/master/sections/todos.md

However, the Basecamp3 API doesn’t indicate there is an endpoint for archiving To-Dos.

There is the ability to archive a Recording, so it may be possible, but would have to be tested.

I am also looking for a way to archive or “not display” completed to-dos at the bottom of a task list. I wasn’t able to fix the issue using the creative solve above. Maybe this will be a feature BC will add some day? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for reaching out here, @WP12345! 🙂

I did some checking but couldn’t find any existing feature requests for the ability to archive To-Do items. So I’d recommend contacting our Support team to submit a feature request for that to be added. You can do that here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

In the meantime, I wonder if a workaround might be to use a Webhooks action to archive the To-Do? Looking at Basecamp’s API it looks like you’d need to use the Update a to-do endpoint and set the status to archived in order to archive it. If that’s something you’d be interested in, we have a general guide on how you set up Webhooks actions here: Send webhooks in Zaps.

Hope that helps. If you give that webhook workaround a try and run into any issues just let me know, happy to help further!