Skip to main content
Best answer

Unable to get leads to add to Mailchimp

I have connected my HoneyBook and Mailchimp accounts and it was working fine until the free trial ran out. I don’t get enough traffic yet to warrant a paid account. What can I do? Everything I’ve read says I should be able to do this with a free account. 

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JeffCrosby 

You have a static value set for the Subscriber Email.

Instead, map an dynamic variable from step 1 for the email address from HoneyBook.

Help: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action

Userlevel 1

Thanks. But no matter what I put there it shows as an error, unless I put an actual email address in the field. I have tried {{email}}. [“id field=email”|, etc. the only time I didn't get an error is when I put in an actual email address (even though it clearly says not to put in an actual email address). I have contacted Hornbook to see it there is a dynamic email value that is used for their forms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

Does step 1 return an email address from HoneyBook?

If yes, then use the ‘Custom’ tab to map the dynamic email variable from Step 1.

Userlevel 1

I’m actually not sure what you mean by step 1.  But Honeybook got back to me and said that they can’t help me with a dynamic value. I found the dynamic values from Mailchimp and tried inputting them ( *|EMAIL|* and *|MERGE0|*) and it still tells me that it still says “Failed to create a subscriber in Mailchimp

Invalid Resource - Please provide a valid email address.”

It’s like it's not working as a dynamic thing and wants me to input each subscriber manually. Maybe I did something wrong in the earlier stages of the setup? 

I am more than willing to provide you with my login credentials if you're willing to assist me with this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

Post screenshots of the data points returned from Step 1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

For context and just a generic example, this is what it looks like when you map a dynamic variable into a field from a previous Zap step.

The “1.” indicates this variable was mapped from Step 1.

The “Name” indicates the name of the variable from Step 1.

The “ZZZ” indicates the value of the variable from Step 1.

Userlevel 1

It lists the test information from my last time testing it

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

In Step 2, select the Email variable from HoneyBook as the Subscriber Email field input value.

Then try turning testing the Zap step 2 while in EDIT mode.

You can also turn the Zap ON and test live from HoneyBook.

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace the data flow between steps and troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1

It works but we’re back to where we started, there is a static email in place and this email works and adds this particular subscriber to Mailchimp but does not work to add new subscribers. 

again: 

It’s like it's not working as a dynamic thing and wants me to input each subscriber manually. Maybe I did something wrong in the earlier stages of the setup? 

I am more than willing to provide you with my login credentials if you're willing to assist me with this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

For us to have current context, we would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap step is configured with the dynamic variable mapped from step 1 to step 2.

If you are looking to hire help, there is a Directory of Certified Zapier Experts: https://zapier.com/experts

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

In Zap step 2, a correctly configured Subscriber Email field with a dynamic variable from Step 1 should look similar to this.

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

That looks to be configured correctly.

Have you tried testing live with the Zap ON?

Turn the Zap ON and test live from HoneyBook by completing the Zap trigger event.

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace the data flow between steps and troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Make sure to test with a unique email address.

Userlevel 1

It does not add the person to Mailchimp. No matter what email I use to test it, the new subscriber is not added to Mailchimp 

Userlevel 1

I just tested it with 2 more emails, neither was added to my list of contacts or subscribers on Mailchimp

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby 

From your test of Zap step 2, it returns IDs indicating the Zap step was successful.

If you are testing with an email address that is already in Mailchimp, then Zap step 2 would update the existing Mailchimp Subscriber.

Are you testing with your Zap live and turned ON?

NOTE: The HoneyBook Zap triggers are instant.

Did you check your Zap Runs history for activity?

https://zapier.com/app/history/

If there are Zap Runs shown, then click into those to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot.

For us to have more context, post screenshots of the DATA IN/OUT for the Zap Run steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JeffCrosby

Also, check this setting in Mailchimp…

Subscribers won't show up in list immediately if you have double opt-in

If your MailChimp list has double opt-in enabled, you won't see any subscribers added by your zap until after that new subscriber clicks through the double opt-in email.
However, your task history will show a successful task immediately, even if the subscriber does not confirm the double opt-in email.

Userlevel 1

My apologies and MANY THANKS for helping me and for your patience with me. Something you just said made me understand what was happening. Every email address that I was trying had been used before and the info was updating and so wasn’t showing up as a new subscriber. I tried a completely new email and it worked. Thanks a Million!!!