Skip to main content

Creating a new file in OneDrive form a form received in Gmail

• 14 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi I want to create an ZAp that allows me to use a new e-mail message to create a brand new file in OneDrive. Currently we run an outreach service and we get applications coming into our service we want to streamline the process. A Gmail account receives emails when a form is submitted, we need to take the information from this form to create a file on OneDrive. The information we want to use is the name of the person I want to use that name to create a file in OneDrive. (Would then also like to start saving into that file but I guess that's another Zap) this is the first time I'm trying to create a zap, I'm really struggling getting my head round using funnels and Filters to achieve this, doesn't seem simple and I think I need an explanation. Ideally I wish someone could show me how to do it in person, I can learn once I've seen the process, There doesn't seem to be that type of support can anyone help?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Olly23,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Here is how I see the Zap for the workflow that you have in mind:

1. Trigger: Gmail - New Email Matching Search - This will trigger on a new email that matches a search string you provided.
  2. Action: OneDrive - Upload File - You can then map the sender’s email address or name from the trigger to the “File Name” field, and map the attachment file from the email to the “File” field.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Hi 

that’s great do I need to use a passer to do this? 

it doesn’t seem to be giving me the name as a option? 

thanks

olly

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Olly23,

Is the form going to be sent in the same format every time? If so, you’re probably going to need to add a Text in Formatter by Zapier - Extract Pattern step.

To help you set this up, could you share an example of the email's structure? Just a heads up, please use a fictitious or test name to keep everything confidential.

Thanks! 😊

Thanks this is a copy of the email I'm trying  to extract the name from, so that any future emails from this sender will go to create a new file in one drive.

Many thanks

Olly

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Olly23,

Thanks for the screenshots!

You can use this Regex pattern in the field: (?<=Name:\n\n)(.*?)(?=\n\nDate of Birth:) and map the “Body Plain” data from Gmail to the “Input” field. Like so:

a2980d17769a71873ceebdd3e0f4ed31.png
(view larger)

If that doesn’t work, you can try using Email Parser by Zapier or Mailparser. Here are some help articles to help you get started:

Hopefully, this helps! 😊