New Community Theming

Categories: Community Update
New Community Theming

Hello everyone!

If you're reading this, I'm sure you have seen that we've implemented our new theme to the Zapier Community!

Notable changes:

1. Our home page now contains easier navigation for categories and recent discussions below
  2. Questions with "Accepted" answers are now marked with a green "Solved" label
  3. Upvote buttons, tagging, emojis, post editing tools, and user roles are much more prominently labeled

We hope you enjoy the new UI! If you have any questions or notice any bugs, please do let us know in this thread.

Thank you to everyone who gave feedback over the past few months to help us make these improvements happen! 😊

Hi @jesse

Looking really good! Top work!

Notice one issue:

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 20.50.11.png

Thanks @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu! Just reported this - we'll have it fixed ASAP!

This is cool @jesse but why does this link: https://community.zapier.com/discussions/unanswered (from the homepage) not display any topics as I know there are indeed unanswered questions on this forum.

@PaulKortman good question! Do you have an example of a thread that you feel is supposed to appear there? Just wanted to be transparent that when question-type thread has a comment, that comment is considered an "answer" even if it's not an accepted answer. Does that sound like what you might be seeing here?

Looks good! Congrats on the launch!

Think "Beta" will be removed soon? 😁

One thing that throws me off is that it's not clear when you have upvoted something. I find myself un-upvoting comments when revisiting a thread after some time.

Here's what it looks like when you have upvoted a comment:

image.pngHere's what it looks like when you have not upvoted a comment:

image.png😅

@alex As we're still working some things out, we'll be in 'beta' for a while longer yet 😊

For the upvote buttons, I've passed that feedback on, fingers crossed we should be able to get that sorted fairly quickly.

@jesse to me if you have a system that allows people to "accept" an answer then a link to "unanswered questions" would be those threads that do not have an accepted question. What is currently there is instead unresponded to questions which thanks to a few folks in this community there will only be something there for a few minutes randomly. So I feel that's an un-needed view. Instead a "Questions without accepted answers" view would be more valuable imo.

@jesse also while poking around just now I realized that roles were put under the thread starters name, but not under thread commenters.

Screenshot 2019-12-13 12.52.33.png

I have two thoughts here:

1. Why show "Member" at all... we're all members of this forum/community, sure some special folks are administrators, but it can be assumed that everyone is a member so it's just odd to see Member, Expert or even just stand alone Member:

Screenshot 2019-12-13 12.52.24.png 2. Why not show this under commenter's names? It give more weight to a staff, admin, or expert's comments, right?

Looks great! As an update to the Upvote button, this is what it looks like now:

image.png

Hi @jesse

How do I now access the "Activity" page where you could see the points leaderboard? Maybe I'm being silly and missing it, but I can't find it.

@AndrewJDavison_Luhhu you can access it by going to the recent discussions page and then the Activity link is in the left sidebar.

Thanks! @PaulKortman

No problem @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu ... and no worries, you're still in the lead for the week and I have no hopes of catching up to you in the all time ;)

@jesse

Just spotted an issue on mobile:

270AB120-8397-47D2-A2BE-12F522F094B6.png

Hi @PaulKortman!

if you have a system that allows people to "accept" an answer then a link to "unanswered questions" would be those threads that do not have an accepted question. What is currently there is instead unresponded to questions which thanks to a few folks in this community there will only be something there for a few minutes randomly. So I feel that's an un-needed view. Instead a "Questions without accepted answers" view would be more valuable imo.

It's not currently possible to have a view of questions without an accepted answer. I do still think it's valuable to have a view of posts without any answers as there are some posts that go a day without an answer - it often depends on the time that the question is posted. Also, as we have more people coming to the Community, there will be more questions so it will be good to have a view of any that don't have a response.

1. Why show "Member" at all... we're all members of this forum/community, sure some special folks are administrators, but it can be assumed that everyone is a member so it's just odd to see Member, Expert or even just stand alone Member

I think this is a limit of the way that the system works - it shows all roles. I'll take a closer look to see if there is anything that we can do there as it does make more sense not to include the member role.

2. Why not show this under commenter's names? It give more weight to a staff, admin, or expert's comments, right?

I'm not sure if this was a specific choice that we made or if it's just the way that the forum app works. I'll pass on your feedback to the team either way!

@BlakeBailey and @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu Thanks for catching those issues, I'll pass those on!

@Danvers

Also noticed that notification emails are coming through a little weird:

87032A6F-3AF0-44FE-AC43-14F9763B7AED.png

@AndrewJDavison_Luhhu Thanks for the info on the emails - it looks like it's just on mobile. I'll definitely pass that on!

@Danvers

Found this issue:

7DDAA251-ADD2-4919-872F-407C9117A22A.png(squeezing of embedded images when post is viewed in mobile)

And another:

63DEBF2B-BCC9-40D5-8234-4A0434164BD2.png

Thanks for letting me know, @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu, I'll pass this one on as well!