Best answer

Updating Notion item content is not appending text but replacing it with new one

I was trying to update the notion item with additional data by updating the content field which was suppose to append the text but in my case it is replacing the text with new update . 

icon

Best answer by Danvers 27 July 2022, 15:02

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Vineet Singh 

Good question.

Try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: ???
  2. Action: Notion - Find Database Item
    1. Used to get the existing field value
  3. Action: Notion - Update Database Item
    1. Update to append to the existing field value
    2. Map the existing field value from step 2

Trigger is slack reply on a message posted by another zap workflow which create and post the item id to a channel. I can use the item id to update the notion database item but find item action don't have search by id as option .

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey, @Vineet Singh 

You’re right - the Find Database Item action doesn’t let you search by ID. You can only search by name. Is it possible to send the name when you trigger via Slack message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Vineet Singh!

How’s it going? Were you able to set up your Zaps the way that you need?

Pulling together Michelle’s and Troy’s answers here’s how you can achieve what you need:

1. The first Zap send the name of the task (as well as the ID) via Slack message
  2. The second Zap searches for the item using the name, which gives you the existing text from the item
  3. The second Zap then updates the item, using both the existing text (from the Find item step) and the any new text that you need. 

I hope that helps!

My apologies, I replied to the wrong convo