Question

Problem with Google Sheets formatting

• 19 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

I am having an issue with data that is being added to my google sheets not conforming to the format that is already set for the column the data is being entered into. 

I have seen other questions about the same thing, such as dates that are correctly formatted in Zapier showing up as just a numeric number when added to google sheets and the answer is always “format that column to the date format”. My problem is that my columns are ALREADY set to the correct formatting and when a new row is added, the formatting for that row reverts to Automatic, or something else that is not what I set it to. 

Example: One of my columns if for an ID number that is formatted “1234-12” and a custom format has been applied to the entire column to keep it from trying to treat the number as a math formula (this has been done multiple times), however often when a new row is added and the number “1234-12” is added to the cell in that column, it is changed to a number like “-123456”. 

You can see this in run ID 001cf06e-4a84-aead-a7d8-27332968fbe1 in my account. I have also posted a screen shot below. 

Since the formatting is already set in my google sheet, it appears that Zapier is changing it or causing it to change when it is adding data. How can I prevent this? This particular piece of data is crucial for my process as it is how each lead is tracked through my pipeline and when it’s formatted as “-123456” in my google sheet, none of the rest of my zaps that are supposed to be triggered will work and it is causing huge problems. 

This also happens with other columns, particularly one where there are often long numbers entered and the format is set to plain text to avoid it being changed to scientific, but they are constantly changed anyway when the data is added. Adding a ‘ to the beginning of the number in the source file has not helped, as it does not seem to transfer with the number. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @AshleighDLC!

This is a particularly tricky issue with Google Sheets and you have done absolutely everything right trying to fix it. 

The screenshots of the data in and out in your Zap history are particularly helpful as we can see that the data change is happening after it’s received by Google Sheets (which is not to say that it’s Google Sheets fault, just that we need to make sure that the Zap is sending the data in a way that Google Sheets ‘likes’)

What I find interesting is that Google Sheets isn’t turning “1229-4” into a simple formula, or you’d get 1225, not ‘-244985’, this question really has me scratching my head!

I think in this case, your best option is to reach out to the Support Team as they will be able to look at the log of your Zap to see if there are any other clues that tell us what might be happening. I’m sorry I couldn’t help further in this instance, I hope that the Support team get to the bottom things with you and if you have the time to follow up here, I’d love to know if you find an answer. 

Thanks!