Best answer

Microsoft Excel error: The app returned "You do not have permission to open this file in the browser.".

Show first post

38 replies

Hi @ken.a,
Pls add me to the open bug report. I have several Zaps that send data to Excel. Most of these Zaps have been working quite well for more than a year. As of May 3, 2024, all of my Zaps that send data to Excel stopped working, and started returning the same error message “Error: Excel Error: You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser.” 
As a response, I’ve reconnected all related apps, and verified all permissions. I was somewhat under the impression that this was related to a recent Windows update that I ran, but after reading this forum I’m not so sure. Please Help!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

I’ve got quite a lot of Excel steps in numerous (104) Zaps which are all erroring in the same way having always worked fine until last Saturday.

They either add new rows or find or update existing ones.

Below is example of a find row step that currently produces the “"You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser." error.

Thanks for your help - it’s much appreciated :)

Jon

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jon Hall 

Perhaps the value being used to lookup is not an email address.

Hi, 

I also encountered this error in another google sheet add on for insertion of a new row from a google sheet to an excel file in microsoft’s one drive. It worked well one day and then the next day I get the error: 

Error: Excel Error: FileOpenUserUnauthorized - You do not have permissions to open this file in the browser. ?$select=id,name

Could it be an issue with microsoft excel?

I hope this can be sorted out soon.

Cheers,

Cjking

Same, this just started happening to me as well 05/23/2024. No changes have been made to my Zapier or OneDrive account (unless M.Soft or Zapier made changes without acknowledging them). Have been unable to solve the error. 

I’m afraid the same issue is happening to my zaps since about 4 weeks ago. I guess Zapier Team hasn’t fixed it yet...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Cjking,

I have added you to the open bug report as another affected member. We will keep you updated via email once the bug has been fixed.

@UXD, our engineers are still looking into the issue.  For reference, I don’t have a timeframe on how long it normally takes to fix bugs because there are multiple variables at play. 

We consider the complexity of the bug, how many users are affected, and the scope of the issue when we prioritize issues. It also depends on whether the issue cause lies solely in our control or if we need to work with our partners at other apps to resolve it, so the timeframe can range. 

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

@ken.a could you please add me to your email list as well? I have the same error with my excel sheets.

I did not have existing Zaps, but from a new Zap journey. I was able to resolve this error when I realized that you need ot be on Office 365 Business account vs a personal plan. Once I swapped to my business account this resolved the error!

Hope this helps someone, because it took hours away from me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jon Hall and @UXD 

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have also reported multiple excel issues!  All stopped working in the last few weeks.  EVERYTHING EXCEL IS BROKEN. 

I dont understand there is so many people with sudden issues, why is it not fixed yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Chnkx,

I have added your email address to the open bug report. We will keep you in the loop via email once the bug has been fixed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Zweitoechter, @John_CMA, and @gwennie363,

I’m so sorry for the late response here.

I have added you all as another affected members of the bug report. We will keep you updated via email once the bug has been fixed.