Best answer

Getting an error with Intercom’s “Tag Added to Conversation” trigger when adding a filter for my Zap.

• 17 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Encountering a few issues related to the “Tag Added to Conversation” trigger for Intercom.

When selecting a specific tag with this trigger, any tag will cause this trigger to move forward to the next step, not just the selected one.

Additionally, if we don’t specify a tag but try to use the Zapier filter action, while the tag data populates in the preview data, it does not appear to be present when the Zap is actually triggered.

Using the Filter Action, selecting ‘Tags Added’ as the data source
The preview indicating the Zap would continue based on the data.
The result of the saved/published Zap being triggered by the addition of the ‘Dev Help Needed’ tag to a conversation.

Any insight would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by SamB 22 September 2023, 15:38

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Adam K. 

Good question.

Check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot the Zap config.

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1

Check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot the Zap config.

Hi Troy!

In “Data Out”, the “Tags Added” key is indeed blank. A “Tag” key is present with the expected data, but this “Tag” key isn’t selectable when creating the zap. “Tags Tags Name” is, but also results in “(missing value)” when used with live data.

“Data In” View
“Data Out” view. “tags_added” is blank, while “tags” has data.
Options while building the Zap. Tested with “Tags Added” and “Tags Tags Name” to same “(missing value)” result. “Tags” option not present.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Adam K. 

I’d recommend opening a ticket with Zapier Support to point out this issue with the Tag variables available from Intercom: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

Any update or workaround  @Adam K. @Troy Tessalone ? I have exactly the same problem. And is the intergration/problem from Intercom or Zapier ? 

Thanks !  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Leo Mono 

I took another look at this and it seems that you’ve unfortunately run into two Intercom bugs that are making your life very difficult, I’m sorry about that! 

The first issue is that the Tag Added to Conversation trigger is triggering for all tags and not just the one selected. The second issue is that the sample data is different from the data you get when the Zap is turned on. @Adam K.  and @Leo Mono I’ve added you both as affected users on those issues, which lets the team know how many people are affected and also means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update. We’ll also updated this thread. 

In the meantime, there is a workaround for, but it’s not perfect. It only works if you only have one tag on your conversations and it involves adding a Formatter and Filter step in the Zap.

After the Trigger step, a Formatter> Utilities> Lookup Table step that looks like this:

For Lookup Key type "y" For Lookup Table type "x" as the key and "x" as the value For Fallback Value, type in {{STEPID__tags}} where the STEPID is the first number that shows in the URL (see example above)

After the Formatter step, add a Filter step that looks like this:

Note: The Filter test in the Zap editor will show that the Zap would NOT have continued. This is expected.

1. Now Publish the Zap and test it by:

Add a tag that does not match the specified tag (in this case "24 hours") to a conversation. You should see that the Zap Triggers but does not proceed past the Filter step. Example:

Add the "24 hours" tag to a conversation. You should see that the Zap triggers, and proceeds past the Filter step. Example:

I hope that helps and I’m sorry that this combination of bugs for Intercom is so sticky!

Userlevel 1

This outstanding request is a huge blocker for our team. Are we able to contact Intercom’s support team to take a look? Or is this connection maintained by Zapier alone? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey folks 👋 

Good news! A new version of the Intercom app was released by our developers that fixes this issue with the Tag Added to Conversation trigger. The test record data that appears in the Zap Editor will now match the structure of the data seen in the Zap History when the Zap is running live. 😁🎉

Really appreciate everyone’s patience here while this was being worked on. Your Zaps have been automatically updated to make use of this new version, so there’s no further action needed on your part. 

As always, please don’t hesitate to reach back out in community if you have further questions. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡