Question

Filter by Zapier throttle?

Hey,

Our organization is starting to use Zapier quite intensively lately with a lot of filters that run when a contact in Nationbuilder has a certain tag, but not another.

The way we do this:

Trigger: Person updated in Nationbuilder

Action: Filter by Zapier: Only continue if person has tag A, but not tag B

And then some more actions.

We have 200+ filters set up this way.

Now I’ve noticed the Filter by Zapier step shows a “Held/Throttled” for a lot of Zaps. There’s no error message and I can’t find if there’s a limit on the Filter by Zapier action, but I suppose there is.

We’re on a paid plan.

How can we resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

OSP

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @OSP, great to hear you making good use of Zapier! 🙂

If the Filter is only checking to see if tag A rather than tag B has been applied then I don’t think you’d be hitting any limits on that front. I suspect that they may have been “Held/Throttled” due to the Zap triggering too many times within a short period of time. Do you think that could be the case?

As you mentioned you’re on a paid plan it should be possible to replay the "Held/Throttled" runs of Zap to see whether they are now able to go through. You can find out more about how to fix “Throttled by Zapier” errors here: Fix "Throttled by Zapier" or "Zapier has blocked this task" errors in Zaps 

If it’s not down to the Zap triggering too frequently, can you click onto one of the “Held/Throttled” runs of the Zap in the Zap History? I’m hoping that in the details for the Zap run it will show the reason as to why was held. Please can you give that a try and let us know what you find?

Hey Sam, thanks for your reply.

I don’t think it’s because a Zap triggered too frequently, as it also happened on a newly activated Zap and on one that doesn’t run all that often. They all show a Held/Throttled, without any error messages.

I also noticed it also occurs on other actions than ‘Filter by Zapier’. 

Here’s what it looks like:

I turned off a bunch of Zaps and replayed a couple of Zaps that were throttled, and these now run fine.

@kevblim what was the solution? We have the same problem. Please help!

@radcliffemortgages my issue was stemming from the fact that I was causing too many triggers. For me, I have a call center dialer called call tools. I have a ZAP so that whenever one of our call center agents  marks lead as a qualified transfer disposition, it adds the lead to a Google spreadsheet. I thought I had to have an individual ZAP for each call tools agent in order to collect the data, so every time they were dispositioning calls (even for non qualified transfer dispositions such as No Contact) it was triggering and flooding my zaps with potential triggers from every single call tools agent, when in reality I only needed to have one zap for my call tools account that was able to monitor all of the call center agents disposition statuses. So I turned off the zaps for all the other agents, and just have 1 zap now. So that's what was what was causing it.

As far as fixing the issue and getting things back to a point rid of the throttling error message preventing my zaps from working, that just disappeared randomly the next day and my zaps were able to run again.

I’m having this issue too @SamB , has anyone found a solution for this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @OSP and @kevblim 

Rate limits and throttling in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496181445261-Rate-limits-and-throttling-in-Zapier#h_01H91ED0PQ782E3B34ZRB5DXF7

Adding a Delay step can help space out Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/apps/delay/help

Thank you @Troy Tessalone , I will look into this. But how do I get my zaps up and running again? Any new zap I trigger or even the new one I've made to test out are still being throttled and held 12 hours+ after I originally got the error.

I've tried to replay the runs but nothing seems to be working to get the zaps up and working again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@kevblim 

Does your Zapier plan have remaining Tasks?

I’d recommend opening a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

@Troy Tessalone Yes, I have more tasks remaining in my plan. I sent out a ticket yesterday, however I believe I figured out what the underlying problem was that caused it. Now I just need to be able to get my zaps up and running again for my team. Appreciate your help!