Best answer

I can't see the parameter related to any file in DocuSign to create a column on Monday.com

• 29 November 2022
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, I am trying to setup a zap to upload a DocuSign signed doc as a PDF or whatever to Monday.com.  The function seems to be there, but I cannot see the parameter that relates to any file.  Any help appreciated!

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 29 November 2022, 14:21

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @tedwardian 

You are setting the Trigger as Docusgin Envelope Completed, correct? 

In this case, the PDF will come as “Documents Download Link:(Exists but not shown)”, you can map this field in the Monday step. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HI, thanks for your reply.  I am doing that, yes.  Thanks, I will use that paremeter.  One issue I have since discovered, I cannot now upload the PDF to the correct Monday case, but I suspect its a case of having the item ID as a parameter that goes from the Monday item, to the docusign to be signed. I will try this, then my automation is complete.  Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Glad to help :) 

You can also do something else (this is what I personally do but in Airtable). Actually trigger the sending of the Docusign from Monday.com. To do that, create a “Trigger Docusign” column in Monday.com, so the trigger would be “Specific Column Value Changed in Board” , and maybe its a checkbox or something. Another field you would need is Docusign ID. 

The setup would be as follows: 

Trigger: Specific Column Value Changed in Board

Action: Send Envelope in Docusign (you can even prefill some data from Monday.com in this step)

Action: Monday.com > Change Multiple Columns Value (add the envelope ID from the previous step)

Then your current zap would only need to have a step to search for the envelope ID using the Monday action “Get Item by Column Value” 

Hope this can help you more :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Perfect, that works really well . Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok, so it adds the envelope ID to the monday item nicely, but the zap to upload it back onto the monday board when signed doesnt work.  Any pointers would be great

https://zapier.com/shared/c5267c195f97e12b6d0179132c4f5f02235ee4d6

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The setup seems correct. Can you please screenshot the step where you upload the file so i can see the values there? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The item ID is incorrect. You should pass the item ID not the item name. (its a number)

You couldn't find the item because im guessing you didn't send the Docusign from Monday yet so the Docusign ID is not in Monday yet. For testing purposes, you will need to copy the envelop ID you have from the trigger step and paste it in any item in Monday (maybe you already have the item in Monday so you can just paste it there)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Only the name is available, not the ID as a parameter.  Maybe somethign wrong in the Get Item Value?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

See in the Test Action (Skipped)? You need to actually test the action so you can get the item ID. Once you do that, the response data will include the ID and so you can use it in the next step. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HI, The test actually fails - On Columns received, I expected to be able to select Item ID, but its not actually there.

Would it be easier if I passed Item ID to the Docusign at point of creation?  I left columns to recieve as blank as ID isnt there.

Thanks, your help is very much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @tedwardian , its my pleasure to help

The test is expected to fail since you still dont have the Docusign Envelope Id in Monday.com . You need to copy it manually now and paste it in Monday so that we can test it and move forward. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

OK, that worked in the test.  I copied the exisinting envelope ID across and it uploaded a file when i tested the trigger.  However, its a blank file of type ‘0600000Z’.

I published the Zap to run it in the real world, .I can see that the envelope ID appearts in the column as expected but no file is uploaded when I sign.  in fact, I dont think the zap triggers at all, its not in the history. 

When I re-test the trigger when editing the Zap, none of the envelopes it pulls (i refreshed the content and see envelopes marked A, B,C ETc. and selected the latest one) match the one on Monday.com column, same format but doesnt match.  I checked it on Docusign and the envelope ID matches that on Monday so thats working ok. 

I dont understand why its not triggering in that case...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
under columns to retriive, Item ID isnt there

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @tedwardian 

Just to make sure I understand correctly, you turned on the zap, then you signed a document afterwards but the zap didn't trigger? To be clear, the zap won't trigger retroactively (i.e.: it won't transfer the existing data), it will trigger moving forward. So after turning on the zap try and sign a dummy envelope (probably better to test the whole work flow, sending a document from Monday and then signing it, make sure both zaps are turned on)

It’s worth noting that the Docusign trigger is SLOW. Docusign sends data every 20-30 mins. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Moh, Ok, ive actually changed the Zap to send the download link as a link column in Monday. Its not uploaded the link yet so I will give is some time.  I THINK with a couple of changes ive made this might work, if the Docusign trigger takes some time then thats ok.

I’ll update later, in the mean time have a good day and thanks again

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Works perfectly!!  Thanks again. I have it as a download link, so updating column data rather than upload file.

Do you know if its possible to use parameters from the Monday board to have in the Docusign doc itself?  So far, I can have them in the email body only, with standard text in the signed document.  It would be good if the client was signing the doc which detailed the accurate content.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Glad that worked! 

And yes, you can add the data from Monday.com to the Docusign (so it becomes prefilled with the data from Monday.com and it cannot be changed by who is signing EVEN if the fields are assigned to them)

In the Sending step, the trick to do that is simple: 

1. The Recipientrole should be the role of the first person in the signature queue
  2. Any field you want to prefill needs to be assigned to said signatory (EVEN if actually you dont want them to fill it, it will be prefilled anyway so no worries there. UNLESS you are worried the field might be blank in Monday and therefore they will have access to edit it since its going to go as blank)

Hopefully that makes sense.