[New Integration] Advanced Utilities

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hey everyone,

I would like to share a custom Zapier integration I built to solve a few problems. The integration provides the following action steps. I hope you find it helpful. :)

---

Run JavaScript Code: This is kind of a clone of the regular Code Step. Nothing fancy, it just comes with some useful tools available in the global scope. It also supports modern JavaScript async/await.

The global scope includes the following utilities:

• moment: The well-known moment.js library that helps when dealing with date/time.
  • _: Lodash library that makes it easier to work with objects and arrays.
  • JSON: this replaces the built-in JSON.parse function with the more advanced JSON5 library.
  • toCSV: A function that converts an object to CSV.

---

Export to CSV: This action makes it easy to convert JSON data or line items to a CSV string or file.

---

If you’re interested in trying it, here’s the invite link: https://zapier.com/developer/public-invite/112461/039174f595539444ce5c14e114c1dc1e/

Known issues:

• The code field in Run JavaScript Code action doesn’t highlight code.

Feel free to report any other issues and let me know if you there’s any other library that you wish you could use in a Code Step.

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Really cool stuff @ikbelkirasan!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu ! :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This is awesome, @ikbelkirasan! Thanks for creating this and sharing with the Community!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thank you @nicksimard ! :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Amazing- thanks for sharing @ikbelkirasan !!:clap_tone3:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thank you @Liz_Roberts  :D

Hi there.  

I tried the link, but I can’t find it after I get redirected.  Is this still available?

Thanks buddy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Jimwinner 

If you’re building a zap and you can’t find the app in the app selector dropdown, this is a known issue.

Refresh the page and the app should magically appear in the dropdown.

Is this safe to use. What happens when I accept the invite? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Amazing stuff @ikbelkirasan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks @andywingrave :)

@CreekFire - Yes, it’s safe to use this integration. When you accept the invite, this integration will be added to your available integrations menu.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have data that looks like this:

[{"Product":"8 \"","Quantity":"2","Flavour":"B Choc"},{"Product":"10\"","Quantity":"1","Flavour":"Lemon"},{"Product":"10\"","Quantity":"1","Flavour":"Vanilla"},{"Product":"12\"","Quantity":"2","Flavour":"Carrot"}]

It can be a variable size, this one happens to have 4 entries.

What I need is this:

Product: 8",10",10",12"

Quantity: 2,1,1,2

Flavour: B Choc,Lemon,Vanilla, Carrot

Can Export CSV do this?

Userlevel 1
Badge

It did this very well. I just need it the other way around.

Userlevel 1

It did this very well. I just need it the other way around.

@ikbelkirasan I second this… I’m looking for something to Convert CSV to JSON (need it to Execute JSON API Requests - Typically I can use Webhooks by zapier ‘Form’, but not when it’s a nested request)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @chrisboat and @eden - I’m going to add a CSV to JSON feature in the next few days. 

Userlevel 1

@ikbelkirasan  Awesome!

I’m a bit of a newb - I’m wondering how it would work with Nested JSON to execute nested JSON requests

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@eden - Could you show me an example CSV and the expected JSON output so I can be sure we’re on the same page? Thanks!

Userlevel 1

@ikbelkirasan  I’m trying to create multiple subtasks in Asana from a google sheet which will list the subtasks and submit them via an Asana Batch API Request 

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks for the great add-on!

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the effort!  Advanced Utilities is exciting to me because of the CSV functionality!  However, the invite link seems to be broken and although it shows up in Zapier, it still says Invite Only .  Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @gootecks@crosscounter.tv - Can you show me a screenshot of what you’re seeing? Advanced Utilities is currently a private app so you’ll need to open the invite link to have access to it. Once done, refresh the page and you’ll be able to select it in your zap. Make sure you don’t use it as the first step because it doesn’t have any triggers.

Userlevel 1

Hi @ikbelkirasan 

Thanks for this awesome add-on.

However, I’m getting an error when exporting to CSV File using a specific JSON input:

Got 400 - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Error><Code>MalformedPOSTRequest</Code><Message>The body of your POST request is not well-formed multipart/form-data.</Message><RequestId>9A94538C0DA3B304</RequestId><HostId>7+t+SBjyWOQcFRbibJsu50paYNl6ajNu30KMcNquQ55VW+y9uVYewwcZLMC4Ckpyg1hNuEenym0=</HostId></Error>

My first suspicion was whether the JSON string was broken or had special characters, but I confirmed it’s valid and your add-on actually is able to generate a CSV string as output using that same JSON input. It’s only when I select the File output that I get the above error.

Another specific detail about this JSON payload is that it’s considerably bigger than the rest of the payloads I tried so far. If I generate a CSV string output and I save it as txt, the file is around 450KB.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ikbelkirasan 

Just found this!

Zapier needs more of these handy type of utilities as apps.

Thanks a bunch!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ikbelkirasan 

Thought: Include the links to the reference articles for Moment.js, etc. as part of the Zap steps for easier access and reference.

Could you possibly provide a bit more guidance around the second step of converting to a CSV?

Sorry am very new to this so wondering where your line items have come from in the example and how the previous step fits into this one?

Thank you