Copper CRM: Getting around the limitations of the built-in integration

• 16 October 2019
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi all, if you're a Copper CRM user then this one's for you!

Zapier's built-in integration with Copper doesn't support updating custom multi-select fields at the moment. So here's a post on how to get around that limitation, by using webhooks.

https://www.optimi.co.nz/blog/2019/10/11/copper-crm-how-to-update-custom-multi-select-fields-via-zapier

This gist of our post is this recipe which does most of the work with the native integration and the rest with web hooks:

1. Set up your zap with a trigger and a Copper action step
  2. Get your custom field definitions from the Copper API
  3. Hook up the Copper API to Zapier (via webhooks)
  4. Add a code step to format your multi-select data

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Paging @alex 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’ll also include this in my round up of good Zapier guides:

https://community.zapier.com/discussion/198/good-zapier-tutorials-video-or-blog-posts

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @Optimi! Sounds like you're a Copper partner, eh?

I find myself using the Webhook functionality for many things within Copper. List people by email (instead of hard error that comes with the native search), connect fields, multi-select dropdowns (append vs replace, oh lord).

Would love to learn more about what you do with Copper! Let's connect, sending you a DM 👌

Userlevel 4

@alex Not a Copper partner at this stage, its just a tool one of our clients likes and which we've had to hack around to get their metrics dashboards doing what we want. DM coming!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

As a quick update, @Optimi and I had a killer conversation. This community is awesome and never ceases to amaze me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@alex and @Optimi that's awesome! Any key takeaways or discoveries to share with the group?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@jesse hopefully @Optimi doesn't mind me sharing this (keeping it broad for now, feel free to expand upon it with whatever data you'd like to - being mindful that this is the public community), but we started building an Airtable that breaks down Annual % SaaS Spend of Revenue between various clients to see if there's some sort of correlation or sweet spot % (less than 10% and more than 1%).

The strange thing is that both of our businesses happened to be at the same % of annual spend on SaaS down to a hundredth of a percent. And within a tenth of a percent comparing this year to last. Super wild!

We are going to collect more data and aggregate it to see if there's any correlation that we can make across clients based in industry/staff size/etc.

Userlevel 4

@jesse Bit slow to the party here (must remember to pop in here more often!!)

My key takeaways:

• Experts should really do swapsies with each other. We all know different stuff and we could probably power up each other with our different processes / tools / learnings / experience etc.
  • We're all off in our own worlds and its useful to get a better sense of what challenges everyone is working on. Often the same one's! (Even though we're in different continents/hemispheres). Why reinvent the wheel...?
  • It makes sense that we'll all develop our own area's of expertise, though I hadn't thought about that so much before our chat.
  • The saas spend benchmark is quite useful as we're often wondering whether we should upgrade one tool or another but not sure if we're spending too much or not (the skies the limit on that one..!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@alex sorry for missing your reply here and that's SUPER interesting! It would be awesome to see that aggregated data somewhere down the line, for sure.

@Optimi Totally agree that there needs to be more collaboration with our Experts community here. We had a call yesterday to talk about client management and we're going to get another one slated in for December. Looks like you may have missed the context on that as I don't see you're in the private Experts Lounge. If you finish V2 of the assessment, we can get you access in there so you can take advantage of those opportunities in the future. :)

Userlevel 4

@jesse Ah yes. We're almost there! Just got to record the vids.

Hi guys,

I am a Copper user but cannot link Zapier because I am not an admin in my team (and cannot get the API Token).

Is there any other way to link Zapier with Copper for non admin users?

Many thanks!

Sergi

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Sergi.elebiahooks - I’m afraid without admin access and the all-important API, there is no way you can connect with Zapier.