Question

Sub-Zap Task Usage and Exponential Maintenance on Copied/Pasted Zaps

• 8 June 2021
  • 1 reply

New here, but as I understand it, if I have a filter with 100 logical expressions and I want 100 different triggers for that single set of expressions, the way to properly set that up is to include the expressions in a sub-zap and have each of those 100 triggers call the sub-zap -- which is exactly what I’ve done.

This is seemingly the only way to make this maintainable, for if there were any changes to the expressions, I’d have to go in each and every one of them to make the updates, which defeats the entire purpose of using Zapier. I also imagine this workflow is extremely popular and common.

There’s a huge issue with this approach, however. Calling a sub-zap from a trigger results in a task consumption. Now this workflow becomes impossible, which is why I was able to consume 2k tasks in a mere couple hours this morning.

Unless I completely missed a concept, is there any way to template a set of filter expressions? I do see that a filter only counts if it passes, so clearly there was some initial thought given to this problem.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @nickjag!

Could I ask what the trigger for the Zap is, and what your logical expressions are? I’m wondering if there’s a way to combine the logic into one step, or at least fewer steps. If you could you share a little more about what the Zap does (what the triggers/actions are, the type of filters you need, etc) we might be able to find a different way of approaching things :slight_smile: