Best answer

Sub-Zap missing sample data

Userlevel 1

I also am experiencing this problem:

To those who suggest multiple regular zaps instead: respectfully, "don't use sub-zaps" is not a solution.

The promise of sub-zaps is that we centralize, consolidate and de-duplicate logic, which has many benefits - the same reasons we have reusable functions in programming languages like Python and Javascript.

Unfortunately, this "Missing Sample Data" issue prevents people from creating sub-zaps with components which cannot be reliably tested with missing data. In my experience, almost every useful zap is in this category.

The only way I have found so far to create a thoroughly-tested sub-zap:

1. Start by creating it as a regular zap that is triggered by a webhook POST or something

2. Test it fully. Once you are confident it is correct, convert it to a sub-zap by changing the first step (and adding a "return" step at the end).

But then you cannot add a step that would be untestable with "missing data". What then?  The best solution I found so far, which leaves a lot to be desired:

1. Clone the subzap

2. Modify it to be not a subzap, as above. I.e., convert the copied sub-zap to be a regular zap that is triggered by a webhook POST

3. Modify and test

4. Once you are confident the new zap works correctly, convert it back into a subzap again

5. Manually check each zap in your account, one by one, to identify which zaps were calling the old sub-zap

6. Modify those calling zaps to call the new one instead

7. Archive or delete the old sub-zap

To those who see the value of sub-zaps, the above is extremely frustrating. This "missing data" bug essentially destroys much of the potential of sub-zaps to (a) save time and (b) increase robustness.

Part of the difficulty is that the potential of sub-zaps can be hidden to those who do not have experience programming. So the complaint of myself and Bendan may seem unreasonable.

Hopefully someone within Zapier who understands the magnitude of this issue will see this and escalate. If you are a Zapier PM who is wondering why your customers are not using sub-zaps more: this bug is a big reason why.

(Alternatively, I hope that I am missing something simple and someone will point out an easy fix. Will be delighted if that's the case!)

icon

Best answer by christina.d 13 July 2022, 03:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Aaron M!

I understand your frustration with this one, and we do know that it’s something that is causing an issue to may users. There’s already a bug report about this issue and I’ve added you as an affected user, which means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update. 

In the meantime, there is a workaround that’s quicker than the one you found. Type data into the fields in the Sub-Zap steps that you know matches the data that will be coming in and use that to test the steps. Then change all of the fields to correct data from the Sub-Zap trigger step. This should allow you to map the correct fields and turn the Zap on. I know that this isn’t a great solution, but hopefully it helps take some of the pain out of the situation while we look at the best way to deal with the underlying issue. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Danvers, that indeed does help a lot! A much better workaround, thanks for writing to tell me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Aaron M!

I understand your frustration with this one, and we do know that it’s something that is causing an issue to may users. There’s already a bug report about this issue and I’ve added you as an affected user, which means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update. 

In the meantime, there is a workaround that’s quicker than the one you found. Type data into the fields in the Sub-Zap steps that you know matches the data that will be coming in and use that to test the steps. Then change all of the fields to correct data from the Sub-Zap trigger step. This should allow you to map the correct fields and turn the Zap on. I know that this isn’t a great solution, but hopefully it helps take some of the pain out of the situation while we look at the best way to deal with the underlying issue. 

Hey there! I wanted to swing by and close the loop here that a fix was merged for this bug and it’s officially closed! 🎉

Thanks for your patience and keep us posted with any questions.

Hi @Aaron M!

Hey there! I wanted to swing by and close the loop here that a fix was merged for this bug and it’s officially closed! 🎉

Thanks for your patience and keep us posted with any questions.

You say that it is a fix for this issue, but i still have the same problem with “Missing sample data” in Subzaps. Update: It worked! My bad, thanks for the good article that led me to the correct solution :)

What article?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @geo_c! I believe they’re referring to the workaround listed in the thread in OP’s comment.

That said, this bug is closed so if you’re having issues with missing sample data feel free to open a new topic with your question and we’re happy to help troubleshoot! Sharing any details of your workflow, and screenshots (with any personal details removed) are always helpful too. 🙂

Welcome to the community!