Best answer

Looping issue with airtable value

• 16 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a zap that loops through a single ID and will then modify multiple airtable records linked to that single ID. The Loop that I created will loop through the multiple IDs attached to this single ID.

When I run the zap, it will only change the first two in the preview and not the last one (aka the one shown at the top and bottom of the screenshot | 3wpoFm…). Instead it double counts loop 1 (pzeoW….) in two separate zaps. What am I doing wrong here?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 17 September 2021, 22:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @chrisfinck 

Please post screenshots of how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @chrisfinck 

Please post screenshots of how your Zap steps are configured.

and you can see it creates in a case of 4 records to be updated, looping 4 times which is successful. 

This is where it looped 4 times to update 4 records
Example success updating the record status

But when we check airtable, sometimes none of them are updated or only one of them out of the full set will update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@chrisfinck 

What about Step 8?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chrisfinck

What about Step 8?

Step 8 Finds each record. And is also a success in each loop iteration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@chrisfinck

Step 8 will find the same record each time the way it is currently configured.

If you want to find different records each time, then you’ll need to pass that data point into the Looping step, then map to the Find Record step.

Seems like you need to map the output from the Looping step to this Search Value.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chrisfinck

Step 8 will find the same record each time the way it is currently configured.

If you want to find different records each time, then you’ll need to pass that data point into the Looping step, then map to the Find Record step.

Seems like you need to map the output from the Looping step to this Search Value.

The loop is passing in this case 4 unique IDs through for step 9. Step 8 is to make sure out of those 4 they are all within a certain view as we don’t want to change status of ones not in the view even if they have the ID attached. See below

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@chrisfinck 

In your previous screenshots, I don’t see where the output from the Looping app is mapped to Step 8 or Step 9.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@chrisfinck 

Seems like the Zap steps should be structured like this…

• Step 7 - Action: Looping
  • Step 8 - Action: Airtable - Find Record (map the output from Step 7 for the Search Value)
  • Step 9 - Action: Airtable - Update Record (map the Record ID from Step 8)
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chrisfinck

Seems like the Zap steps should be structured like this…

• Step 7 - Action: Looping
  • Step 8 - Action: Airtable - Find Record (map the output from Step 7 for the Search Value)
  • Step 9 - Action: Airtable - Update Record (map the Record ID from Step 8)

I see what you are saying. Ok I have updated, had to get a specific task in order to fill Step 7/8. Will keep you updated tonight when the test one comes through. Thank you as always seriously you are a great asset to the community