Best answer

Zapier is not letting me create new contact in hubspot without email address.

Userlevel 2

I'm using a zap where I'm getting the new lead data, passing it to zapier webhook and then creating a contact in hubspot. Hubspot create contact api page says we can create a new contact without email address: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/contacts/create_contact

However, zapier is insisting on providing an email.

image.png

icon

Best answer by AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 6 March 2020, 16:08

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just stepping in here! Yes @gourav_evrcare, this integration is managed by the HubSpot team. It looks as though we have an open feature request for what you're asking about here as well so we'll go ahead and add you to that so HubSpot is aware of your interest in this as well.

Hope that helps to clarify!

Hi @gourav_evrcare

Sadly, the Zapier integration requires one, so you'll need to provide one.

The best approach is to to create a random number using a "Formatter->Numbers->Perform Spreadsheet Operation" step and the formula "RANDBETWEEN(10000,99999)" and then setting the email address as:

[Random Number From Formatter Step]@random.com

Thank you for this!

To clarify, do we need to add the new “formatter” step after our “New SpreadSheet Row in Google Sheets” but before our “Create or Update Contact in Hubspot” step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @gourav_evrcare

The best approach is to to create a random number using a "Formatter->Numbers->Perform Spreadsheet Operation" step and the formula "RANDBETWEEN(10000,99999)" and then setting the email address as:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It's worth keeping in mind @gourav_evrcare that most apps build and maintain their own integrations on Zapier, not the Zapier team themselves.

With that in mind, you might want to check with Hubspot support if there is a reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Danvers - is Hubspot Zapier-managed or app-managed?

Userlevel 2

I don't think adding a random email is a right thing to do because it will be then used in hubspot for all lead tracking activities associated with that email address. onboarding email would be sent to this random address etc. you get the idea. It'll create more mess than not associating the lead with email.

If hubspot is allowing the lead to create without email address then zapier shouldn't force this restriction at all.

Userlevel 2

If you can confirm that this integration is done by hubspot then surely I can approach them

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Pearl Lemon Leads! In case you’ve not figured this one out - yes you need to have the Formatter step before the Create or Update Contact HubSpot step. You’d then use the output of the Formatter step in the email field. I hope that helps!

Userlevel 2

Hi @gourav_evrcare

I talked to hubspot team and not sure if they gonna fix this bug anytime soon. So, I think I’d go with this approach. Can I also somehow clear this [Random Number From Formatter Step]@random.com after creating the contact in crm?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @gourav_evrcare

I talked to hubspot team and not sure if they gonna fix this bug anytime soon. So, I think I’d go with this approach. Can I also somehow clear this [Random Number From Formatter Step]@random.com after creating the contact in crm?

Hey @gourav_evrcare - what do you need to clarify?