Question

Zapier did not notify us of expired Facebook authentication

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has anyone else had an issue where Zapier “failed quietly” on expired authentication tokens to external APIs like Facebook? For months, we’ve had an automation taking leads from Facebook Lead Ads and moving them into a CRM and a custom spreadsheet.

We noticed that leads seemed to have fallen off in our CRM, but our ads manager was showing leads in the Facebook Ad Center. 

Upon investigating, we found that:

1. Zapier was reporting 0 issues with the Zaps, but
  2. When we finally clicked through each stage, we saw a small note under “Choose Account” > “Facebook Lead Ads account” that said (it’s gone now, but essentially was) “Facebook authentication token expired.”

We reconnected fine and things are flowing again, but for those few days where it appeared that things were working but nothing was happening in the CRM, we lost time to contact those leads. Thankfully, they were there to be exported from Facebook, but since we have all leads funnel to our CRM from various sources (many through Zapier automations across different channels), we didn’t know we were missing those FB leads - we just thought there weren’t any.

What I’m really trying to figure out is, is there any way to have Zapier notify us via email when authentication to a platform used during a step in a Zap has expired? We get email from Zapier if the zap itself encounters an error (say, a CRM lead already exists with a given email address), but not when the whole thing disconnects!

It seems like a bug, but I thought I’d ask here first in case there is something we could do to not miss this again in the future. I hate to think we have to randomly check-in on Zapier to see if a Facebook auth has expired, especially since it lasted months prior.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@redearmedia 

I'm going to flag this post for the Zapier Community Team. They should have more insight on this and can escalate to the support team if needed.

Sit tight, and someone will contact you soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you, @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu. Nice to see you again, btw.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @redearmedia! I’m going to escalate this to the Support Team so that can double check a couple of things. I’ll be in touch via email shortly to confirm which Zap/step this happened with and they can pick things up from there. 

Thanks!