Best answer

How do I post a Teams message in HTML format to make URL links clickable?

• 20 September 2020
  • 83 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi,

is there a way to post a Teams message as html format?
Currently it’s as text only and so e.g. URL links aren’t clickable atm when sending an automatic message to someone.

Maybe a switch which sets the content-type of the message to html or test if preffered would be very handy :)
Have a nice sunday!

icon

Best answer by SamB 12 December 2023, 10:23

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

83 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi folks, it seems I spoke too soon!

There’s since been a number of reports that this new feature is not working quite as intended. As a result, the feature request as been reopened while this is being investigated. 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Thanks for your continued patience and understanding here. We’ll be sure to keep you all in the loop on this and we’ll let you know once this has been rectified.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@steph.n can you please move this to the Devs? To let the user select, which contentType they want to post?

Userlevel 1

@Wemakefuture Yes, I tried html and it comes through as text:

The problem is that the content type is always text when you are sending a chat message. There is no way to change it to html, markdown, or anything else:

Userlevel 1

I would like to add my vote, but I’m concerned that it’s been three years and there’s no progress yet. Is this really on the development list?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for reaching out here, @Abhishek Srinivas and @Nagasai!  

We’ve added your votes to the feature request as well. We’ll email you once there’s been an update on this! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, folks! 👋

Thanks again for everyone’s patience here. I’m back with another update to share that the team have recently shipped some changes to the Microsoft Teams app which has fixed it. And so it’s now possible to use both HTML and markdown when sending messages with the Microsoft Teams app! 

If you have any trouble in selecting or using those new formatting options please do reach out to the Support team using the form here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Did you try to send HTML code?  @azbctxks 

@Julez 

Try this as custom value

<a href="https://zapier.com/" target="_blank">Zapier is amazing</a>

If you can click it now you can create HTML blocks and insert your values from previous App steps.

Userlevel 1

I am hitting this same problem. 
Did anyone found a solution for this ? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Also, as a (bad) workaround, what I’ve done is instead of sending one big message to Teams as unreadable block of text, I've split it into three or four different steps.

i.e. instead of this

Step 2: Send to teams: Information A | Information B | Information C | Information D | Information E | Information F | etc

I have: 

Step 2: Send to teams:  Information A

Step 3: Send to teams: Information B | Information C

Step 4: Send to teams: Information D

Step 5: Send to teams: Information E | Information F | etc

Which appears as consecutive messages in the chat, and is at least slightly more readable!

Userlevel 1

@Wemakefuture  Yes, I tried html and it still comes through as text:

The problem is that any time you send a chat in Teams, it is sent as text:

It would be nice if the default was html or markdown to allow formatting, or just if the option to change the format was available like it is for channel messages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @AshleyMorris @FLIT @Vyto @fchen @azbctxks @sefzig @Julez!

We have an existing feature request for adding HTML/Markdown support to the Send Chat action in Microsoft Teams. I’ve added all of your votes to that, which means you’ll receive an email notification when it gets implemented :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Wemakefuture - So that I know how to help, I’m not sure what you mean by “move this to the devs.” Are you requesting a feature request here? Please let me know. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Tick42 Ltd! I’ve added your vote too. We will email you as soon as it’s added. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Sjoerd 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once available. Thanks!

@afieldio  

You can contact us through this link: https://zapier.com/app/get-help and chat with our support team to accommodate your concern. We do apologize for the inconvenience. I also added you to this feature request.

Please add my vote - also could you perhaps post a link to the original feature request?

Thanks

@SamB 

Please add my vote also as I need the same feature.

thnak you

Please add my vote too, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You got it, @TC-1! I got your vote added to that feature request and we’ll be in touch as soon as we know more. 

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Also would like this.

> To add a link to text using markdown, type the word or phrase that you want to link in square brackets, then the url in curved (regular) brackets, like this:

Hi@Danvers, for me this is not true, at least not with my configuration. If I send a message with “Send Chat Message in Microsoft Teams”, the markdown is printed as a string with [](). Do you know what to do in such a case? Thanks :)

Userlevel 1

I am hitting this same problem. I think the problem is that sending CHAT messages in MS Teams always sends the message as plain text, not markdown, so there is no way to format it.

If you send CHANNEL messages, there is an option to change the format to markdown, which allows for formatting.

Would it be possible to add the text format option for MS Teams CHAT messages as well?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hitting the same issue here too. MS Chat messages show all text, HTML Mark or Mark down just appears in it’s raw form, whatever I try. 

A solution would be good, as I cant even do new lines at the moment.

When sending to channel you have the ability to select the formatting type.

View of Channel Message Options

But when you send the Chat Message, you don’t have the same options.

View of Chat Message Options

Only plain text is possible. Please extend the same formatting option to Chat Messages as you have to channels. 

*P.S.- The only reason most of us are using Chat Channels is because you can’t use a webhook to push to a private channel. I don’t need everyone in the team getting alerts, and I don’t want to make a new team to subscribe to alerts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @FLIT 

You can submit a feature request for this to Zapier Support here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

If this is not yet implemented, please add me to the list!