Best answer

Update Trello card instead of creating a new one

• 22 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi folks,
sorry for opening a new request, but I guess it is not very smart to combine two questions in one post.

I would like to tell Zapier to update informations on Trello cards (in the card name and/or description) as soon as something has changed in a Google Contact (e.g. card name is the name of the contact, card description contains phone number, e-mail address etc. - if I correct the spelling of the name or add another number, I would like Zapier to edit those informations on the Trello card instead of duplicating the whole card).

I have tried to work with paths and designed one path for a new contact (=create a card, filter: "update time doesn't exist") and one for an edited contact (=update card, “update time does exist”). Unfortunately I am struggeling to set up the right action. I chose the correct board, left the list value empty (cause I want to update every card on any list as soon as there have been changes) and at the point where I have to pick a card to update, I struggle. How can I tell the system to choose ANY card that has been changed instead of choosing a specific card?

Or is there any other way to update the content of a card automatically when a contact has been edited?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 26 April 2021, 14:23

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @Atg87, hope you’re well, I just wanted to check in here!

Were you able to get things working with the info from Danvers, or can we still help out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Atg87!

From what you’ve described, you’ll need a Zap that looks like this:

1. Google Contacts: New or Updated Contact
  2. Trello: Find card (tick the box at the bottom that will create a new card if none is found)
  3. Trello: Update card

The Find Card step will find the card that you’re looking for on a board, and if it doesn’t find one it will create a new one. That step will give you a card ID, which you use as a custom value in the Update card step:

That will make sure that you’re updating the right card. 

This is going to be the hard part:

if I correct the spelling of the name or add another number, I would like Zapier to edit those informations on the Trello card instead of duplicating the whole card).

You can add another number in to the description, but if the name is different then the card wont be found. 

To add another number to a card, add a filter step in the Zap. Have it set up so that the card will only continue if a card was found in the Trello Find card step. Then add a step after the filter that adds the new contact information at the end. This article explains how to add information into a field, rather than replacing it