Best answer

Shopify Triggering a Zap Twice creating duplicate on Monday

• 29 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello,

We have a Zap that looks for a New Order (Any Status) on Shopify and then we have a filter to only proceed with Orders that are Paid or Pending. (This was a our solution to make sure both paid and pending orders trigger the zap)

The problem is that we have seen the Zap triggered twice by the same Order, with separate Run ID, and create a duplicate new Item on our Monday board.

What would cause the Zap to be triggered twice by the same Shopify order? How do we fix this?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 11 May 2021, 13:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @angelafroschl 

I dug into this and it looks like this is a known issue with the beta New Order trigger, I’m sorry about that.

In this case, the best thing to do would be to switch to the non-instant trigger. When a trigger isn’t instant, the delay between the trigger event (in this case receiving a new paid order) and the Zap being triggered will be 1-15 minutes (depending on your Zapier plan). If you go to the Zapier Pricing page, you can see how long it could be between the order and Zap triggering by looking at the update time for your plan. 

I’ve added you as an affected user on this bug for the instant trigger. This lets the team know how many people are affected by it and we’ll send you an email when we have an update.

@Danvers I’m wondering if you would have thoughts about whether the fact that we’ve chosen the trigger as an “INSTANT” function could be the issue here? It does say it is a Beta feature… maybe we need to select the other non-Instant version of the New Paid Order trigger?

Hi @angelafroschl

I would start by taking a look at the data that you get from Shopify when you get a new order - is there anything common between the same order when it’s paid or pending - the order ID for example? If there is, you could try creating your own ‘deduplication table, which is a fancy way of saying ‘make a table that records the information that we get from a Zap and stop the Zap if it’s the same as one we already have. This post has a couple of different options for how you could try that:

@Danvers This sounds like a possibility… but seems like it is really unnecessary. Shouldn’t the Zap just only trigger ONCE for each paid order? Isn’t that how it’s designed to work?

Just trying to find the simplest solution here and creating a whole deduplication process seems more complicated than it needs to be.

Hi @angelafroschl 

Seems as though the triggered Shopify Orders are passing the Filter step twice: 1 for Pending, 1 for Paid.

You’d likely need to additional logic to the Zap to search for an existing matching Monday Board Item.

Unfortunately, the only way to do that with Monday is by using the Monday API: https://monday.com/developers/v2

The Monday API can be leveraged via a Webhook app step: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations#triggers-and-actions

NOTE: This is a more advanced approach and involves technical concepts to implement.

@Troy Tessalone  I don’t believe this is the case… the Zap is being triggered twice, separately and the filter is “met” with the “Paid” status both times. For example:

This is the SAME Paid Shopify order triggering this Zap two times about 30 seconds apart. You can see the filter for paid or pending is the same… the second Zap shouldn’t have been triggered at all because there is no NEW Paid Shopify order.

It seems like the only way to work around this is to create two different Zaps - one looking for paid orders, and one for pending orders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @angelafroschl

I would start by taking a look at the data that you get from Shopify when you get a new order - is there anything common between the same order when it’s paid or pending - the order ID for example? If there is, you could try creating your own ‘deduplication table, which is a fancy way of saying ‘make a table that records the information that we get from a Zap and stop the Zap if it’s the same as one we already have. This post has a couple of different options for how you could try that:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @angelafroschl 

Seems as though the triggered Shopify Orders are passing the Filter step twice: 1 for Pending, 1 for Paid.

You’d likely need to additional logic to the Zap to search for an existing matching Monday Board Item.

Unfortunately, the only way to do that with Monday is by using the Monday API: https://monday.com/developers/v2

The Monday API can be leveraged via a Webhook app step: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations#triggers-and-actions

NOTE: This is a more advanced approach and involves technical concepts to implement.