Question

Setting up Airtable to Freshdesk Request Automation

• 11 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

This is a continuation of this topic, as I’m working on some further implementation and I want to try and flesh out the syntax so everything works right. From what I gather, I will need to make two zaps… One for a new entry (New ticket) and one for an updated record (Add reply to ticket) The simple plan of attack is:

1] Customer creates new entry on Airtable (Trigger)

• Action: Request (New ticket) is created on Freshdesk for new entry
  • Action: Update Airtable record with Freshdesk ticket ID (For future reference and request updates)

2] Customer updates an existing entry on Airtable (Trigger)

• Action: Possible delay (The trigger, in past experience, seems to work instantaneously. I would like it to delay so that it waits until they’re done completing changes to submit the updates as one change, if possible)
  • Action: Filter to find Freshdesk ticket with corresponding ticket ID
  • Action: Add reply with changes to ticket, reopen ticket

I’ll start building this out on my own, but if there are folks here with greater insight, let me know if there’s anything else I should consider, or if there are better ways to plot this out to meet our needs. Thanks for your help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Toast 

Some feedback:

• Action: Possible delay (The trigger, in past experience, seems to work instantaneously. I would like it to delay so that it waits until they’re done completing changes to submit the updates as one change, if possible)
    • Depends on how you configure the Zap trigger.
    • The Delay likely won’t address your problem.
    • You may need to use a Last Modified field in Airtable AND select which fields to monitor. (see screenshots below; 1st is from Airtable, 2nd is from Zap for Airtable New/Updated trigger step)
    • You may need to add an Airtable Formula field that calculate the time since the new Last Modified field was updated. (e.g. X minutes compared to NOW)
      • Then you can use this to trigger the Zap or Airtable Automation
    • NOTE: If you add a Delay, then you’ll need to use an action step for Airtable Find Record to get the record that triggered the Zap again so that you have the most updated data.

•  
  • Action: Filter to find Freshdesk ticket with corresponding ticket ID
    • You won’t need this step if you already have the Freshdesk ID saved on the record in Airtable

If you want to use Airtable Automations to trigger Zaps, then check out this article:

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the info. In regards to the delay, it’s based on what I observed in a test run of the zap. I made a notes field to test entering in data, and that notes field gets transferred to the ticket comment. Unfortunately, since the update/zap is so quick, it relays the information over before the person is finished typing. So if the note is “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog”, you’d get

New comment: The

New comment: The quick brown fox

New comment: The quick brown fox jumps over the

New comment: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

I would just like it to wait until the field is done being updated before sending over the information. Is there a way to do that? I am open to options. 

A possible idea involves making some sort of a “Chante type” or “submit change” sort of field which is a drop down, and having the last modified field reference that. That said, if there’s a better way to set this up I am definitely on board with trying it. Thanks again for your insight!

Userlevel 1

And just to follow up, the automations/webhooks may be a viable solution so I’m going to look at adding that.

For reference, when it comes to our records… If a new entry is created, it would have no Freshdesk Ticket ID, so it would have to return the created one in order to assign that value to the entry. Once changes are made to an already existing entry, the ticket ID would be available for reference.