Best answer

Sending bulk emails from Google Sheet

• 22 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi Liz,

I have the same question - I created a scheduler zap to send bulk emails from a google sheet. The issue is that the returned rows (for example 3 rows with first name column values Joe, Tina, Max) will show up as a combined variable in my email. As a result my email greeting gets sent out 3 times repeating: “Hello Joe, Tina, Max” 

I want to send 3 separate emails as follows:

1. “Hello Joe”
  2. “Hello Tina”
  3. “Hello Max”

How would we do this?

icon

Best answer by Liz_Roberts 24 April 2020, 17:09

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Howdy Liz,

Thank you for your reply and Katie was very helpful as well.

I did have two follow-up questions on the workaround, can you please let me know about two questions below:

(1) would the limit of 10 still apply if I did this method? This the google sheet search limit on looking things up

(2) can I setup a separate zap that would override and paste new values into that column which would then trigger this zap as new data being detected? This would automate the whole process :wink:

TSA

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @TSA ,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delay! I’ve moved your issue to a separate topic as the use case appears to be a bit different!

I see you have been working with Katie in Support; while I know you had some follow up questions for her on the below workaround I did want to post her response in an effort to assist future users who may have a similar use case. 

If we can help any further, just let us know!

To clarify a bit, Zapier isn't designed to handle bulk sends -- rather, it's meant so that each Zap will receive a single triggering event, then perform an action on that single record. There isn't a way to loop through records as you're looking for here -- I'm sorry I don't have better news for you on this!

Instead, you may want to consider using something like a Google spreadsheet with a list of emails and set up a Trigger Column on that Google spreadsheet that corresponds to a Zap with a Google Sheets trigger.

Then, every month, you'd paste in a new date through the entire column for every one of those contacts -- that would trigger the Zap, which would iterate through each of those spreadsheet rows as the new date was detected, and would allow you to personalize the emails.