Best answer

Sender name from Facebook group events

• 27 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to create an integration which sends an email on every new post to a Facebook group. This works fine, but I can’t seem to get the name of the person sending the post. Here’s the data from a test post:

id xxx
created_time 2020-09-26T10:56:57+0000
instagram_eligibility ineligible_post_no_media
is_hidden false
is_instagram_eligible false
is_published true
message Here's another test
permalink_url https://www.facebook.com/groups/xxx/permalink/xxx/
type status
updated_time 2020-09-26T10:56:58+0000
to__data 0
id xxx
name Test group

When I first set this integration up last night there was also a from field, which was always empty. In my email template I have that as part of the subject in the email, but so far it’s always been blank. I’ve seen some posts about Facebook Messenger integrations with the same problem, saying that users have to opt in for their details to appear in integrations - is this the case here too?

icon

Best answer by SamB 12 February 2024, 10:37

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey folks 👋

I wanted to swing by here with a quick update on the Facebook Groups app

As a result of the upcoming changes to the Facebook Groups API, the Facebook Groups app on Zapier will be no longer usable from April 22, 2024.

Any zaps using Facebook Groups triggers or actions are expected to stop working on that day. You can learn more about this here: App update: Facebook Groups app removal

Please do reach out in Community if you have any questions in the meantime. 🧡

Userlevel 1

@Danvers @Colin is this feature available now? I need to get the post owner as well

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the prompt reply @Danvers, I look forward to that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Colin! The name of the person that posts in a group is something that we can get using a Zap currently, sorry about that!

We do have an open feature request for this addition. I've added your name to the feature request to let the team know that it would've helped you, that also means that you'll get an email if we have an update on this.

I know that the ‘From name’ field is confusing at it makes it look like you can get a name, we’re looking into why that is and think it might be to do with different post-types. In the meantime, I know it’s confusing and I’m sorry for the trouble with your Zap!