Best answer

Send email from Google group email

• 5 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Trying to build a Zap that sends an email not from my personal Gmail, but from a google group email (with collaborative inbox) that I am part of. 

Has anyone figured a way to do this?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 6 January 2023, 13:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Niklas Bö Hey there! Have you given this a shot yet? I haven’t come across anything saying this can’t be done, and unfortunately I do not have a collaborative inbox to test this out with. If you’re receiving any error messages, please add some screenshots so we can try to troubleshoot this! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there @Niklas Bö, I know we have a “From” dropdown that will let you send email as an Alias, have you tried that?  If so, do you know if the group email was added manually as an alias inside of the Gmail settings shown here?: https://support.google.com/googlecloud/answer/10635789?hl=en

I can’t seem to find a definite answer in my notes on the app so if you could check that out and let me know, I would love to improve them on our end so we know in the future!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @RALaBarge, I tested this after setting up the the group email as an alias in my own Gmail (for which one usually needs help from the Google workspace admin), and it worked after that. 

I can now select the group email in the “From” dropdown. 

Hi! I too am trying to integrate a Google Collaborative Inbox. The proposed solution works for it to be sent, but I need to message to show in the Collaborative Inbox so the rest of the team can see it went out. The message only stays in my personal inbox if I use the alias. Does anyone have another recommendation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @zappy08 

I can’t think of another way to do work around this, I’m sorry about that. 

I think the reason that this doesn’t work in a way that’s helpful when using a Collaborative Inbox is because the Inbox is built on Google Groups (ie not just Gmail). I’m in touch with the team at Zapier responsible for the Gmail integration to find out the best way to ask them for this functionality. I’ll update here when I have a response. Thanks!

Hey there @Niklas Bö, I know we have a “From” dropdown that will let you send email as an Alias, have you tried that?  If so, do you know if the group email was added manually as an alias inside of the Gmail settings shown here?: https://support.google.com/googlecloud/answer/10635789?hl=en

Thank you for the link. That worked for me! 👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi everyone! 

Following up on my previous message, I found that Google Collaborative inboxes are linked to Google Groups and there isn’t currently a way to work with them using the Google API. The API is the piece of code that allows other people to connect to Google groups, and it doesn’t currently anything related to conversations, which is what would be needed to work with the Collaborative inbox. I have created a feature request to add support for emails/conversations in collaborative emails so we can track interest in that functionality but it wouldn’t be able to be built until there’s an update in the Google API. 

@zappy08 and @Niklas Bö I’ve added you to the feature request so you’ll be sent an email if we are able to make that a reality. 

In the meantime, as @RALaBarge explained, you can use the Zapier Gmail integration and change the ‘From’ email address to make it look like emails are sent from the collaborative inbox. To do that, the group email address will need to be manually added as an alias inside Gmail. Instructions on how to do that can be found in this Google support doc: https://support.google.com/googlecloud/answer/10635789?hl=en